Membership Engagement Officer
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) was established in 1990 and mandated by name in United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/45/181.The WSSCC Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and aims to accelerate the achievement of sustainable sanitation, hygiene and water services for all people, with special attention to the unserved poor, by enhancing collaboration and coordination of all sector stakeholders. The WSSCC Secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland. More information on WSSCC can be found on the website at www.wsscc.org.
WSSCC is committed to mobilize its partner-base at the grass-roots level through both government and civil society partners, bringing its strong communication and advocacy experience. Through stronger collaboration at national level, brokered through WSSCC, the National Coordinators, WSSCC members and partners, WSSCC can effectively facilitate discussions on sector reform, sector financing, reaching the most vulnerable and marginalized, and strengthening
monitoring and national delivery and accountability systems in a large number of countries.
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the membership engagement officer (maternity cover) will focus on leveraging WSSCC’s current membership and expanding its future membership with local champions who bring their own networks in to the discourse about accelerating progress towards SDG 6.1 and 6.2.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- To promote and nurture the membership base, as part of its support base in countries where WSSCC has a footprint as well as regional and global level;
- To lead on the implementation of the membership engagement plan as per the 2019 /2020 work plan and as approved by the WSSCC Senior Leadership Team;
- To facilitate the exchange of views among members, including the use of social media and other tools/platforms in coordination with the communication unit, and to develop initiatives that enhance the value added and offerings of membership;
- In coordination with the communication team and with other unit team members, lead the development of global initiatives aiming at broadening and enhancing the membership;
- To act as a conduit between members, partners and key staff of WSSCC through regular information exchange and feedback that mutually reinforces the work of the Council and the role and value of membership;
- Support country coordination and engagement among National Coordinators and membership, policy advocates with relevant communication advice and strategies.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Building on recent research conducted by the membership team, develop proposals for enhancement of WSSCC membership model (individual and organizational);
- Analyse the results of a members’ questionnaire on areas of interest and expertise to inform the membership engagement and outreach strategy, and the development of country engagement plans (CEPs);
- Building on enhancements to the membership model, develop the membership ask and offer and provide support to Regional Units and National Coordinators (NCs) to run well-targeted membership drives;
- Develop and coordinate initiatives to improve and enhance the value-added and offerings of membership;
- Work with the Communications and Advocacy unit to develop a suite of communications materials for NCs to use in their membership drive campaigns and a guidance note on the same;
- Work with the Communications and Advocacy unit to conceptualize and operationalize member-focused and targeted communications and guidelines and ensure steady two-way flow of communication from Secretariat to members;
- Provide support to NCs to identify, track, and monitor the engagement of members in national debates, events and policy processes;
- Provide support to NCs on membership mapping, identifying champions to contribute to CEP, outreach to members, expanding membership and engaging in activities within the CEP, tracking, monitoring and capturing information for use in comms, corporate reporting and M&E
- Develop a module or facilitated session on membership, to fit into partner workshops with options for membership engagement
- Play an active role in the working group to organise a Global Members for Influence Meeting 2020 in readiness for the launch of the WSSCC Strategic Plan 2021
- Master’s degree in Development Studies, Communications, or related field is required.
- A bachelor's degree with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the master's degree.
- Minimum five years of relevant professional experience in membership management, stakeholder engagement, strategic communications, advocacy or related fields.
- Experience working in international development with UN agencies and/or International NGOs is highly desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French is desirable.