About the Organization:
Water For People India initiated its operations in West Bengal in 1996 in Nadia and North 24 Parganas districts. Consistent with the global vision and mission, we exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. Our organizational values are: accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency.
Water For People India programs have been implemented in 20 districts in the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Odisha. In all, nearly 1.2 million people have been reached through community drinking water and sanitation, WASH in public institutions and market led approaches to sanitation. By 2023, Water For People India programs aim to directly benefit 2.7 million people. We aim to build capacities at the district level which will contribute to organizational commitments, thereby indirectly benefitting 14.8 million people. Water For People India implements programs directly and also through locally registered non-government organizations.
Water For People India Trust (hereafter referred to as Water For People – India) came into existence in 2008. Water For People India Trust is an affiliate of Water For People USA.
The Communications Officer/Manager will manage all external communications activities and act as the first point of contact for information and communications at Water For People India. The Communications Officer/Manager will contribute to the communications and branding strategy and its implementation; will be responsible for mapping and understanding audiences; managing external communications needs and will be responsible for effective communication of Water For People India Trust’s work to external stakeholders, specifically targeting current and prospective donors. S/he will be responsible for developing content to support the work which can include case studies, reports, media content etc., besides handling social media and events.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Manage/contribute to Water For People India Trust’s Communications Strategy.
- Develop annual communications plans aligned to Water For People India Trust’s strategy and in consultation with state and national offices; develop required budgets and timelines for execution.
- Develop and disseminate organizational branding and communications guidelines, policies and standard operating procedures among Water For People India donors, partners, staff, vendors and consultants.
- Responsible for managing external communications needs such as web, events, print, visuals, etc.
- Co-ordinate with teams and stakeholders to collect/collate/edit reports, papers, briefing documents, quotes, testimonials, pictures, success stories, etc.
- Support the teams in developing communications materials, signage, messages, consistent with the branding and communications guidelines.
- Maintain media library (videos, photographs, information, education and communications materials, etc.) for use across a range of platforms.
- Plan and develop high quality and cost-effective communications materials (e.g. print, audio-visual materials, project reports, website, and social media platforms) and update as necessary.
- Engage in documentation of program activities to disseminate Water For People’s approach, impact, and learnings.
- Identify and implement knowledge and communications platforms for teams to facilitate learning and sharing.
- Any other tasks assigned by the line manager
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
Website, Online and Social Media Communication :
- Implement social media strategy for Water For People India Trust’s programs.
- In close coordination with the team, develop content and manage the creation of website and pages, content creation for regular updates.
- Engage with the teams on creating communications products (videos, vox pops, training materials, photographs and stories, etc.).
- Manage mechanisms for increased content reach to subscribers and wider viewer base.
- Manage, develop content, update and monitor Water For People India Trust’s social media accounts.
- Develop, discuss and implement new and alternative ways to leverage social media.
- Plan and maintain a content editorial calendar.
- Conduct/organize trainings for teams contributing to external communications materials.
- Developing and cultivating good relationships with key individuals and institutions, ensuring that information on key media contacts is kept up to date.
- Engage in writing abstracts, summaries, short papers, presentations, press releases for external communications at the state and national level
- Collaborate to develop and implement a media strategy for consistent message delivery to increase visibility.
- Identify platforms for meaningful engagement and sharing work of Water For People in India.
- Prepare and update external communications deck for a range of audiences
Support Events, Meetings, Conferences:
- Consistent with the branding and communications guidelines, create content, collaterals and communications materials for events, organized by Water For People India Trust.
- Represent Water for People India Trust in events.
- Facilitate Field Visits for media and donors/partners.
- Manage and monitor the communications budget.
- Responsible for managing translation of material in local language.
- Manage vendors and consultant engaged in communications.
Education/Qualifications & Experience:
- Masters’ Degree in Communication, Media studies, Journalism and/ or equivalent in an associated field from a reputed institute
- At least 5 years of similar experience in communication or related field in a development organization or a corporate of repute.
- Ability to develop compelling stories with excellent written and visual communications in Hindi and English.
- Experience of supporting and utilizing a variety of communication products
- Knowledge of print and audio-visual production.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Publisher, CorelDraw.
- Demonstrate leadership in cross-functional collaboration across the organization.
Skills and Competencies:
- Connects to Mission: Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the achievement of program outcomes
- Builds Team and Talent: Approachable, inspires confidence, engaged and develops talented people contributing to individual and organisational capability
- Uses Critical Thinking: Sees possibilities, opportunities, innovative ideas, managing competing priorities
- Results Driven and action oriented: Makes hard decisions with an eye towards getting things done; translates strategy into actionable plan to deliver excellent results for the organisation
- Connects with Others: Demonstrates exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and confidence in representing Water For People India across a variety of audiences. Ability to collaborate with teams throughout the organization.
- Cross-cultural work experience is preferred.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to travel domestically to project locations, where travel is rugged, up to 50% of time
- Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting international visitors.
Application Process & Last Date:
Interested candidates with relevant experience should send a covering letter along with updated resume, compulsorily giving details of three references, Current and Expected compensation to by or before 21th February 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of Communications Officer/Manager” in the subject line
Considering the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.