Are you a strategic communications professional who wants to contribute to a better world?
One of the world’s leading water institutes – SIWI – is looking for a dynamic and professional person to fill the position of Director, Communications.
In this role, you will be responsible for driving and managing the internal and external communications aspects of the institute’s overall strategy. You will lead the communications team to develop and execute strategies that raise awareness and influence key audiences on water challenges globally and strengthen SIWI’s role and reputation as a key hub for water- and development knowledge, in Sweden and globally.
You will lead a team of highly skilled professionals, in the fields of media relations, digital strategy, campaigns and publications for SIWI and its programmes. You will also play an instrumental role in strengthening the organization’s story-telling and outreach capabilities, from speech writing and pitching to media, to impact reporting and campaigns.
To be successful in this role we believe that you have broad knowledge of and operational experience in advocacy, media relations, public affairs, PR and internal communications. You are a confident leader focused on supporting and developing people. You are confident with data and insights-driven decision making, have a passion for developing innovative communication strategies, and have a solid grounding in both traditional and digital communications best practice.
The person we are looking for is a visionary “doer”, with an inclusive leadership style, a commitment to the highest standards of quality, and experience building and supporting high-performance teams, preferably in a development cooperation or international context.
The Director Communication is a member of the Senior Management Team and will support and work closely with all departments at SIWI. The position is a full-time, permanent position (with 6-month probation period), starting as soon as possible. The position is based at the SIWI offices in Stockholm, Sweden.
Areas of responsabilities include:
- Manage and lead the Communications department, including development, staff and budget matters;
- Develop a strategy for SIWI’s communication efforts, to support delivery of SIWI’s current Strategy (2018-2021) and annual action plans
- Develop and drive of SIWI´s communications and outreach strategies;
- Identify and influence news and feature material in diverse media such as print, radio, TV and social media;
- Establish and maintain contacts with key Swedish, international and national media outlets;
- Oversee creation and implementation of internal and external communications, marketing and outreach plans;
- Manage articulation of desired imagery, branding and institutional positioning;
- Increase awareness and engagement for activities arranged by SIWI;
- Provide strategic communication counsel and support to the Executive Director and Department Directors;
- Oversee and advise on communications support to SIWI’s departments
- Develop and implement strategies to enhance SIWI’s visibility in Sweden and globally.
- Develop and implement SIWI’s internal communications strategy
- Demonstrated leadership skills in an international setting.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of communications and public relations strategies including strong project management skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- High degree of interpersonal skills and documented experience of developing and supervising staff.
- Excellent project management skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in fields relevant to the position and its responsibilities.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading teams.
- Basic knowledge of global development issues and interest in water challenges.
- Documented success in developing and messages on behalf of an international organization, company or non-governmental organization.
- Experience with procurement and management of suppliers and consultants.
- Fluent English and Swedish (written and spoken).
- More languages considered a merit.