Manager (Hydro-Meteorological Applications)
To provide overall coordination of the implementation and leading of ICPAC activities related to applications of climate products and services needed by the water resources and related sectors
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the Implementation and lead ICPAC activities related to applications of climate products and services needed by the water resources and related sectors.
- Conduct gaps and needs assessment.
- Co-ordinate the development of regional strategies for enhanced applications of climate products and services in water resources risks assessment and management.
- Provide impacts of observed climate conditions and forecasts on regional hydrological systems on decadal, monthly, seasonal time scales and any other relevant time scales.
- Co-ordinate capacity building activities related to applications of climate products and services in water resources risks assessment and management.
- Co-ordinate ICPAC’s regional programmes for improving meteorological and hydrological observations and database management.
- Prepare plans for assessing and mapping the impacts of climate change/ variability to water resources potential to build scenarios for future adaptation and mitigation strategies
- Co-ordinate the development and use of climate information systems in hydrological forecasting and water resources management practices including decision support tools (systems).
- Prepare periodic progress reports and annual reports as required by ICPAC.
- Coordinate generation of downscaled tailored climate products, relevant hydro meteorological applications including generation of large basins seasonal regional water risks outlooks based on seasonal climate outlooks and other related products.
- And any other related activities assigned from time to time.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Doctorate in Hydrology, Water Resources or other related fields
- At least Ten (10) years of working experience in hydrological or water resources modelling
- Good knowledge of computer applications in hydrology and water resources
Key Skills and Competencies
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to prepare written reports in a clear, concise and meaningful manner
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of French is an advantage
How to apply
Only candidates who meet the profile of the minimum qualifications, experience and core competences stated above can apply. Application accompanied by the candidate’s detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees and give the candidate’s contact details must be addressed to the following address and must be e-mailed / submitted in such a way that they are received on or before 2:00pm on 22nd February 2019. Any proposal received after this deadline will not be considered. The for application with the sublect line “Manager, Hydro-Meteorological Applications - ICPAC ”should be made to:
The Director, Administration & Finance, IGAD,
Avenue Georges Clemenceau,
P. O. Box 2653
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.