Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is today the main source of multilateral financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance, and produces and disseminates knowledge products, to the public and private sectors of its borrowing member countries. The Inter-American Development Bank is looking for motivated professionals willing to join a group of specialists to work in the Bank’s Water and Sanitation strategic framework which is a response to the new challenges in the sector.
The current sectorial strategy renews the commitment of the Bank to pool efforts with countries in the region and support development of the water and sanitation sector with a view to achieving human rights principles in the sector, including access to adequate services, consistent with the countries responsibilities and wishes. Also, sustainability in the management of water resources and infrastructure interventions, gender mainstreaming in the water and sanitation sector, mitigation and adaptation to climate change, increased efficiency and sustainability of urban and rural water operators, drainage and flood control, and improving the management of solid waste are incorporated in this strategy.
The framework seeks to position the Bank as the financing alternative of choice for national and subnational governments in delivering on their commitment to improve these services, and to provide access to knowledge products relevant to their local situations.
The candidate is expected to actively participate in all knowledge management activities of the Water and Sanitation Division, such as:
- To identify, prepare and analyze –from a technical point of view- financing requests for projects with and without sovereign guarantee and technical assistance in the area of water resources management.
- To identify, prepare and participate in the development of complex studies and strategies in the area mentioned above.
- To lead/participate in the execution and supervision of projects and activities in the same area.
- To provide technical advice in the areas of expertise and other related Bank activities to borrowers, country offices, and government and non-government agencies.
- To participate as member of multidisciplinary teams in the conceptualization and development of innovative technical, institutional, and financial responses to the needs of national, regional and local governments, as well as private companies.
- Collaborate/lead project teams and review quality control activities with regard to project proposals.
- Lead/collaborate/coordinate research activities, analysis and development of knowledge products and their dissemination.
Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent (PhD preferred) in Civil, Sanitary or Environmental Engineering or related fields in Hydrology, Natural Resources or Water Resources Management.
Experience Minimum of 5 years of experience for grade V and 8 years of experience for grade IV in developing and implementing projects in the areas of water resources management. Strong technical background in Environmental Impact Assessments, Environmental Management & Sustainability; Climate Change Adaptation & Mitigation, Water Resources modelling, sector policy and participatory planning at the basin level are desirable. Publications in relevant journals in the field are a plus.
Languages Proficiency in at least two of the Bank’s official languages (English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese).
- Technical Sector Dialogue: Engages in policy dialogue based on solid knowledge of the sector, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies and guidelines.
- Sector Development: Takes actions to promote sector priorities based on country and regional needs and key IDB priorities.
- Economic and Sector Work: Develops and applies economic and/or sector analytic work to support the preparation of country, sector and regional strategies and country dialogue, loan operations and technical assistance programs.
- Project Analysis and Design: Conceptualizes, prepares and participates in the approval of projects and programs (loans and technical cooperation), in coordination with other team members and the respective authorities.
- Change Management: Formulates and implements integrated change proposals to contribute to sector modernization and transformation in borrowing countries.
- Project Supervision: Effectively supports the execution of projects and programs to maximize their results.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Designs and implements effective monitoring and evaluation methodologies for projects and programs.
Knowledge Management and Dissemination: Effectively shares and disseminates economic/sector knowledge and learning experience to enhance the relevance of the IDB to borrowing countries and the region
- Collaboration, Teamwork and Inclusion: Works cooperatively with others independent of background (e.g., gender, ethnic origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, background, perspective) or organizational role, and takes a team-based and inclusive approach to projects and decision making.
- Innovation and Creativity: Develops imaginative ideas and solutions through creativity, experimentation and critical thinking.
- Communication and Influence: Communicates effectively and leverages relationships and strategies to influence others.
- Client Focus: Understands client needs and provides services that meet their expectations for quality and performance; meets the Bank’s expectations for ethical behavior.
The IDB offers a competitive benefits and compensation package.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Sep 15, 2016, 6:00:00 AM
Closing Date: Oct 7, 2016, 5:59:00 AM