Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) works with people and organizations around the world in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustice. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA is involved in humanitarian assistance in natural disasters, in complex emergencies and in a number of protracted conflicts. Our country offices respond to local disasters while surge capacity in maintained in the head office to support disaster response in large-scale disasters and capacity building. NCA core competency is in water, sanitation and hygiene and commitments to Core Humanitarian Standards is at the center of our efforts to improve quality and accountability to affected populations. Together with the ACT Alliance we maintain presence and preparedness in around 135 countries in the world and can provide multi-sector humanitarian response.
The position is temporary, from 28 October 2016 to 28.June 2017. This position will need to travel extensivly (70-90 days per year).
NCA uses an electronic gateway for all recruitment where you can register and submit your CV, write an application / cover letter and attach relevant certificates. Only applicants using this electronic gateway will be considered for the position.
- Serve in the stand by team for deployment to disasters in 36 hours
- Carry out WASH assessments of needs and gaps
- Initiate immediate water, sanitation and hygiene activities in humanitarian settings
- Support development of routines, guidelines and manuals in NCA humanitarian WASH programs
- Carry out training of WASH staff in NCA field offices
- Quality assure WASH plans and report, and support organizational wide quality assurance
- Bring field perspectives to NCA policy work
- Water and sanitation engineering degree, or alternatively public health education at master level
- Training in humanitarian standards and quality and accountability in humanitarian programming
- 3-5 year of experience in emergency settings, natural disasters, refugee settings
- Experience in water, sanitation and hygiene program planning, monitoring and reporting
- Excellent English language skills, other language skills are valuable
- Structured, well-organized and self-driven approach to work.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Constructive, flexible and solution focused
- Good interpersonal skills and sensitive to mixed cultural teams.
- In case of emergency deployment: Must be able to live and work under demanding physical and mental conditions
- Working with meaningful projects for one of Norway’s largest humanitarian organizations
- An exciting and challenging position with the opportunity to help further enable and develop NCA’s humanitarian response work, world wide
- Competitive terms and conditions