Part-time Internship - Akvo Foundation USA
At Akvo, we believe in equal access to public services, reliable infrastructure and a safer environment for everyone. We are convinced that this will happen faster if governments and non-governmental organisations become more effective, accountable and collaborative.
Since 2008, we’ve worked with over 20 governments and 200 organisations in more than 70 countries to improve the way they implement development projects and make decisions using data. We call them partners. With our combination of tools, services, local expertise and sector knowledge, our partners improve the management of water, sanitation and agriculture, with a strong commitment to accelerating the progress of the sustainable development goals. This is why we go to work every day.
This is a shared position with the Global Water Challenge, a coalition of leading organizations committed to achieving universal access to sustainable safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene. This internship will support the Water Point Data Exchange, the global framework for sharing water point data. With harmonized data on hundreds of thousands of water points around the world, WPDx Improves water services through evidence-based decision-making and new learning.
As a joint position with Akvo and GWC, you will have the opportunity to work with the two teams. At Akvo, you will be part of the Americas team, working under direct guidance of the Americas Hub Manager. With GWC, you will collaborate with the Director of Strategic Initiatives and will engage with data and water experts collaborating on the Water Point Data Exchange (WPDx). The position is hired and supervised by Akvo Foundation USA.
What you will do
This internship provides a unique opportunity to understand all aspects of “data for good” programs, from finances, operations and stakeholder engagement to deploying analytical tools and helping governments use data-driven insights to improve water services. In specific, the intern will provide support along two main areas:
Operations and partnership building at Akvo
● Assist with day to day tasks to run Akvo Foundation USA including but not limited to liaising with third party providers, organizing files and mail, following up on invoicing and contract renewals, and performing administrative tasks to ensure compliance with US government regulations for 501c3 registered entities.
● Assist with cultivating new partnerships in the Americas, including but not limited to following up on partnership leads, proposal writing and providing software demos to interested parties.
● Collaborate with Akvo's international team to write internal procedure and guidelines for internal training.
● Write blogs and additional content related to activities carried out in the Americas.
● Support with coordinating logistics for events.
Water Point Data Exchange
● Lead engagement with data and water experts around the world through coordination of quarterly Working Group meetings and all follow up.
● Harmonize data to the global Water Point Data Exchange data repository.
● Write blog posts that provide insights, information, and guidance about WPDx.
● Implement data-cleaning activities to improve the quality of available water point data and enhance data analysis.
● Develop guidance materials to help governments and other stakeholders use data analysis tools.
● Writing compelling proposals to help grow WPDx’s programming.
● Work with governments and NGOs to help them share data through WPDx.
● Collaborate with governments and their partners to use data in innovative ways to improve water services.
Requirements and competencies:
● You have a Bachelor's degree and are interested in building a career in international development, data science and/or information technology. You are preferably a graduate student seeking hands-on experience on "data for good" programs;
● You are proactive, service-oriented, independent and possess good communication and writing skills;
● You have the ability to multi-task and operate remotely as part of a global team;
● You are open minded and a self-starter with good analytical and problem solving skills;
● You have advanced level use of Excel and have curiosity for software development;
● Nice to have: experience with GIS, sector experience in WASH or Agriculture and/or fluency in Spanish
What we offer:
● An opportunity to work with a great team and get hands-on experience exploring a variety of operations tasks in a global non-profit environment as well as content work related to "data for good" programs in WASH and Agriculture.
● You will be based in Akvo’s office in Washington DC; at the Open Gov Hub, where you'll interact with network of over 30 organizations working to promote transparency, accountability and civic engagement around the world.
● You will be part of our international Akvo and GWC communities, with colleagues all over the world.
● Exposure to software development processes
● An internship remuneration of USD$15/hr
Akvo is seeking to fill the position as soon as possible. Ideal candidates shall commit to working 20 hours per week through September 2019. The intern is expected to be available to work at the Akvo office in Washington DC.
How to apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Ethel Méndez – . Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Akvo is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, color, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other category protected by federal, state and local laws.