Senior Private Sector Engagement Specialist for Water
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a multi-stakeholder platform and an action network, supported by a global secretariat that was established as an intergovernmental organization to support countries in their efforts to implement a more equitable and sustainable management of their water resources. The GWP network spans 13 regions with more 60 country water partnerships and over 3,000 institutional Partners in 180+ countries. The global secretariat is hosted by the GWP Organisation (GWPO) located in Stockholm, Sweden. More information: www.gwp.org. The secretariat is comprised of a dynamic team of 25+ staff and consultants who work to support GWP’s Regional Water Partnerships, Country Water Partnerships and institutional partners, as well as all GWP’s stakeholders. GWPO is looking to identify an innovative, passionate and determined Sr Private Sector Engagement Specialist who will bring her/his background in water resources management to bear in developing programs and services that will help the Network mobilize private sector groups and entities for effective and sustainable water resources management around the world. This is a new position.
The private sector is a key player – in the increasingly challenging contexts for providing accessible and clean water and sanitation while managing water scarcity, water pollution, and floods, and in finding and implementing effective, equitable, and long-term sustainable solutions for these challenges. The demand for water from the private sector will drastically increase in coming decades - especially in agriculture, manufacturing, and energy production and distribution – whilst reliable water resources are under threat from pollution, overexploitation and climate change. Large corporates, small and medium-sized enterprises, privately managed utilities, privately funded infrastructure developers, privately run financial services providers as well as start-ups and technology providers are all part of the eco-system that needs to be mobilized for managing the growing risks and demands associated with water in a future moulded by climate change and water scarcity. GWP’s regional and country water partnerships, already working well functioning multi-stakeholder platforms with government agencies and civil society, are looking for new ways to effectively mobilize private sector groups and entities to collaboratively help address these challenges as part of broader stakeholder platforms and innovation initiatives.
SCOPE OF POSITION
The Sr Private Sector Engagement Specialist provides strategic thinking while creating space for and driving programmatic activities and network operations. Familiar with and willing to contribute to constructive and critical thinking on corporate water stewardship as one approach for businesses to engage, the Specialist will also work along other aspects of the private sector’s role in the water sector, including but not limited to: utility management, demand side management, performance management, investment financing, innovation and entrepreneurship, insurance, and financial services more generally. S/he will drive GWP’s private sector engagement with attention to timeliness, prioritization and building fruitful coalitions across the GWP network and with strategic partners at global to national levels. The Specialist will work closely with other members of the team, including but not limited to the Proposals & Resource Mobilization colleagues, the Communications and Knowledge team, and other colleagues in the Network Operations team
Programmatic growth and delivery:
- Be the main counterpart/focal point for developing proposals and initiatives designed to build private sector mobilisation into a programmatic business line for the GWP.
- Take a lead in identifying opportunities for thought leadership, developing ideas, and identifying collaborative arrangements to turn them into action.
- Deliver detailed project design, individually and through productive collaborations within the GWP secretariat and network, and through consortiums with other partners when opportunities and alignments arise.
- Manage, monitor and deliver project implementation with a continuous focus on results and learning, whilst integrating the evaluation of outcomes into GWP’s core work programme and M&E.
- Develop learning opportunities for GWP’s counterparts and partners at country to global levels, building on GWP’s focus within its PSE as well as findings from analytical work and projects (with special attention to online learning tools – e.g. cocreation, webinars etc.).
- Ensure and strengthen the alignment of private sector initiatives and GWP’s other thematic and network operations, and its contribution to achieving the GWP’s Strategy for 2019 to 2025.
Policies and processes:
- (Co)Produce global thought leadership on Private Sector Engagement, and articulates insights in policy recommendations, analysis and advocacy on key private sector water issues, whether they are industry specific or on management approaches (e.g. corporate water stewardship).
- Represent and manage GWP’s voice and messaging in global and regional dialogues and forums, to strengthen GWP’s mission on integrated water resources management.
- Is a strong communicator, both internally and externally, working closely with the communications team and management (and is familiar with suitable communication tools, methods and channels) to strengthen GWP’s voice and messaging on PSE in water.
Values, leadership and teamwork:
- Contribute to the positive and productive work environment pursued by senior management, characterised by GWP’s values of inclusiveness, openness, transparency, accountability, respect, gender sensitivity and solidarity.
- Lead agile teams in a manner that is exploratory, innovative, collaborative and effective in a culture of excellence. S/he values accountability, learning and the intrinsic value in diversity.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Our ideal candidate is someone appreciative of and insightful about the role of the private sector as a key water producer, water user and wastewater emitter. S/he is also familiar with private entities’ contributions to achieving integrated water resources management and development goals, such as the SDGs, whether through directly engaging in collaborative processes or by providing innovative technology or solutions. The candidate should be interested in and passionate about mobilizing others and facilitating a new consensus across the GWP family, supporting the network’s engagement approach at the global to national levels, whilst also building a portfolio of projects and strategic partnerships with other related initiatives.
- University degree: Master's degree (or equivalent through work experience) in field related to water resources management and international development; and/or corporate responsibility and business administration field.
- Water Resources Management and/or Corporate Responsibility: Minimum of 10 years relevant experience of working on water resources management and/or corporate responsibility, with proven experience of working with the intersection of environmental management and private sector.
- Project Management: Proven capacity to design, implement and monitor portfolio of projects with tangible results. Strong project management and communication skills. Highly developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated competence in negotiation at the highest level. Experience of having worked in or with multi-cultural settings.
- Global processes: Documented understanding of and experience with global processes and financing such as the SDGs and donor funding, and private sector financing for sustainability (preferably water- or adaptation related).
- Leadership: Track record of facilitating collaborative processes and/or leading teams, as well as working with senior staff in partner organisations.
- Communication in business terms: Strong ability to describe technical, policy or programmatic issues in a business oriented and intuitively understandable way; ability to integrate different experiences, methodologies, and approaches from a diverse range of stakeholders from multiple sectors and ability to communicate these convincingly, succinctly and appropriate to a business audience.
- Relationship Management: Evidenced ability to build effective and sustainable relationships internally and externally.
- Fluency in written and spoken English a must, knowledge of French and/or Spanish an advantage.
- Professionalism: Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Ability to exercise good judgement, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues.
- Planning and Organizing: Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability is essential.
- E-literacy: Excellent e-skills, including the ability to use modern office technology and related software. Practical knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software is required. Ability to do internet research, compile information and find solutions online to information gaps is essential.
- Teamwork: Support colleagues, contribute to team culture, and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility. Ability to “lead from behind” and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high quality products.
- Personal: A good sense of humor. Love for nature, its beauty and its resources. Willingness to 'get the job' done with a positive attitude to take on a wide range of tasks. Availability for longer travel to attend international meetings.
Professionals with a background from and/or living and working in in Asian, African, Eastern European, Latin American, or Middle Eastern countries are particularly encouraged to apply.
GWP offers competitive remuneration as well as an attractive work environment, with flat hierarchies and fast decisions, and with great opportunities for professional exposure and growth. The position, while new with GWP, is expected to be a long-term assignment and part of the core team. The contract is initially offered for 1-2 years for administrative reasons.
Please send in your CV along with a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 17th February.