Grist is seeking a news editor to lead its coverage of green news, climate solutions, and environmental policy. We’re looking for someone who can assign and edit deeply reported news analysis that drives the daily conversation on world-shaking issues (and fuse a little irreverence where appropriate). We need a seasoned editor with impeccable news judgment, never-ending story ideas, a knack for headlines that make readers eager to click — and insights that bring them back. We’d also prefer someone who has mentored young writers and has some familiarity with newsletter products.
We prefer candidates based in the Eastern time zone, who are comfortable working remotely as part of an increasingly virtual newsroom. About half your time will be spent assigning and editing quick daily news hits, authoritative explainers, and smart analyses that provide readers with much-needed context. The other half will be devoted to managing a few newsletter products, as well as any enterprise reporting — digging for uncovered angles and finding the big stories that aren’t being told.
Coverage of the Trump administration will be only a portion of this role — our first priority is finding someone who can cover the myriad proposed solutions to climate change with a critical eye toward plausibility, scalability, and perhaps most importantly, equity.
- At least 3-5 years professional editing experience, preferably in digital journalism
- Stellar news judgment and quick-turnaround editing ability
- Demonstrated interest in environmental issues
- Deep passion for journalistic principles and ethics
- Ability to manage and mentor junior staff and fellows
- Report, write, and produce as needed
- Help shape editorial and organizational strategy
- Recruit, hire, and onboard editorial fellows
And it sure would be nice if you had:
- Deep understanding of the state of climate science and the surrounding policy debates
- Familiarity w/ digging into documents, using FOIA, interrogating data
- Ability to translate stories into multiple formats, including video, data viz, podcasts, etc.
- Quick mastery of Grist’s irreverent, engaging, evidence-based voice
- Comfort with social media
- A knack for getting Grist stories into newsletters, link roundups, etc.
- Competitive Salary
- 10 paid holidays per year, 15 days of paid vacation, and 10 days of sick pay accrued per calendar year
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits (Grist pays 85% of the premium)
- Short-term and long-term disability and Life/ADD benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan, with an employer match
- Flexible Spending Account
Grist offers a dynamic and engaging editorial environment and the opportunity to be part of a unique online publication with a mission that matters. To apply, please send a cover letter (in the body of your email, not as an attachment), resume, and clip links to with “News Editor” in the subject line. We’re looking for thoughtful but tight cover letters that demonstrate your enthusiasm, style, and vision/coverage plan. (If it sounds like a form letter, don’t bother.) No calls, please.
Cultivating an inclusive staff is central to Grist’s focus on advancing equity. We’re interested in hearing from people who can work with diverse colleagues of varied experience. Candidates of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.