Sustainability Group Area Manager
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects. In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list.
At WSP, we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a Sustainability Group Area Manager to join our Sustainability & Energy team in Toronto.
WSP's Sustainability & Energy team are widely recognized as pioneers in the Sustainability & Energy market. You will be joining an incredible 'think-tank', consisting of extremely bright, innovative, solution-driven professionals.
Reporting to the Director of Sustainability & Energy, this role is responsible for overseeing the New Development Sustainability book of work in the Southern Ontario region. This includes overseeing Project Managers in the delivery of building sustainability projects, and bringing in new work by actively maintaining client relationships through those projects as well as through separate Business Development initiatives.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for monitoring the financial health of this service area, and helping all members of the team fulfill their individual and collective potential. This person will also act as a Technical Lead on projects, and will be responsible for ensuring that project deliverables meet our standards for technical quality, and that they meet or exceed client expectations. The ideal candidate will have sound knowledge and proven experience with green building certifications (such as LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL), particularly as they apply to new development projects, though experience with existing building sustainability projects is considered an asset.
- Lead effective team meetings and deliver accurate reporting in accordance with company procedures;
- Support the development and achievement of the regional and national Business Plans and Practice Plan;
- Apply appropriate resources to projects to meet production deliverables;
- Deliver monthly reports to the Director summarizing team performance and capacity;
- Consistently build successors for key roles and contribute to identifying potential new employee recruits;
- Interact with the Director and other Service Area Managers to keep apprised of employee performance and to deliver feedback;
- Interact with the Director and other Service Area Managers to coordinate business opportunities and client relationship management strategies;
- Provide feedback to the Practice Management Team on possible improvements to service delivery procedures;
- Oversee Project Managers in the delivery of green building certification projects (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL) and other related services;
- Facilitate, participate in and promote an integrated design process;
- Provide technical support and guidance on sustainability related concepts, strategies, design and operations, such as site related issues, storm water management, rainwater/greywater harvesting, water use reduction, envelope thermal performance, high efficiency building systems, renewable energy systems, waste management, material selection, thermal comfort, ventilation and indoor air quality, daylighting, health and wellness, etc.;
- Lead proposal development and various client management activities;
- Contribute to the knowledge and professional development of employees in the group, providing mentorship as required;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- University degree in a related discipline;
- 7 years of relevant work experience;
- Proven experience (minimum 5 years) in providing sustainability consulting/green building certification (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL) services;
- LEED AP credential (BD+C, ID+C or O+M specialty an asset);
- WELL AP and Passive House credentials are assets;
- Demonstrated ability to lead/work successfully with small project teams and to maintain client relationships;
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects, clients, service delivery, timelines and budgets;
- Experience in fee pricing and proposal writing of sustainability and green building certification (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL) services;
- Experience in managing a business unit or functional team, where responsibilities included monitoring the financial health of that business unit and bringing in new work;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Exceptional problem solving, time management and decision-making skills;
- Self-directed and self-motivated with the ability to succeed in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment;
- Desire to learn continuously, work more effectively, and enhance technical and professional skills;
- Ability and desire to mentor and coach other team members;
- Punctual, reliable, detail oriented, task oriented, and organized.