Specialist Groundwater Modeller
About the role
As an expert in the use of groundwater modelling tools we are looking to you, the Specialist Groundwater Modeller, to provide the technical leadership required to best inform water related risk at our 16 iron ore mines in the Pilbara.
In your position as Specialist Groundwater Modeller in the Water Resource Evaluation (WRE) Group – Resource Development you will play a pivotal role in the transformation of conceptual hydrogeological models into mathematical decision making planning tools.
Working Monday to Friday, 40 hours and reporting to a regional Hub Superintendent you will be:
- Responsible for the development, construction and maintenance (reconciliation) of mathematical flow models to support WRE in the assessment of environmental impacts, management of mine dewatering and water supply requirements for mines in your assigned Hub.
- In partnership with the Hub hydrogeologists and the Technical Assurance Lead, managing the modelling pipeline including the coordination, planning and delivery of models.
- Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement in the mathematical modelling space.
- Promoting a high level of competency in conceptual and mathematical modelling that is aligned with business drivers.
- Mentoring Project Modellers and enjoy working in a team environment. and,
- Scheduling works loads, project management, including controlling costs, and ensuring quality performance.
To be successfully considered for this role we value your technical capability, including:
- Proven ability in the development of conceptual hydrogeological models.
- Proven ability to simplify and discretise complex conceptual hydrogeological models into mathematical modelling tools based on your appreciation of the minutiae in the art of modelling and the science of mathematical models.
- Working knowledge of analytical and numerical groundwater modelling packages.
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulation methodology, stochastic and probabilistic groundwater modelling to quantify uncertainty.
- Experience with other modelling software packages, model code manipulation, solute transport modelling and automated model calibration (e.g. PEST).
- Familiarity with GIS packages, and geological modelling software.
- Programming and other support software such as, Python and MATLAB.
- Experience with project planning, including the ability to accurately estimate the time necessary to complete model build, calibration, and predictive simulations.
- Proven ability to complete projects within the proposed timeframe.
And you will have the following personal attributes and qualifications:
- A strong commitment to safety and adherence to risk management systems.
- Tertiary qualification in Engineering or geoscience.
- A current "C Class " WA Drivers licence.
- An ability to convert complex technical issues into practical and applied outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including good oral and written skills.
- Previous leadership experience.
- Strong initiative, motivation and drive toward long-term success.
- Energy and passion for developing and servicing world class projects.
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Previous field experience involving hydrogeological assessments, including hydraulic testing and design for applications such as dewatering, seepage mitigation, well field layout and optimisation, etc. will be highly regarded.
- Site based mine experience.
- Experience in developing hydrogeological conceptual models.
- Post graduate studies in Hydrogeology, or Environmental Engineering will be highly regarded.
Where you will be working
In the Perth CBD, Central Park with some travel to the Pilbara. In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world's largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world's largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Watch for more information about our Pioneering business: https://youtu.be/XPZQJ34-84w
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.