About the Job
Based in Garowe and under the supervision of the Program Manager, the WatHab Engineer, Plans, designs and implements engineering projects, monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments, surveys and plans new projects in her/his Area of Responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Program Manager in identifying, assessing, planning and implementing water projects in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) and monitors the impact of these projects
- Conducts on-site follow-ups and basic design of Engineering projects
- Manages independently, execute administrative/office and technical works related to Wathab projects
- Supervises contractors and on-site work for and conducts quality control during the design and construction of the infrastructures implemented by the ICRC
- Plans post-implementation assessments and administers hand-over of the infrastructures implemented by the ICRC to end-users;
- Organizes training for end-users in the operation and maintenance of infrastructure installed by the ICRC
- Support in the planning of the community mobilization activities and facilitate in the formation of water users committees as per the need of the operation context
- Provides the general updates, daily reports, field trip reports and technical reports for projects under his/her responsibility;
- Prepares the necessary implementation, progress and completion reports for projects under his/her responsibility
- Ensures an efficient and effective information flow in either oral and written reports and accurately interprets from English to Somali and vice versa during field visits and/or when requested
- Establishes a close working relationship and networks with the relevant various interlocutors; Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS), relevant authorities, Water Authorities, NGOs and Communities.
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- University degree in Civil Engineering, Rural Hydraulic, Construction or Architecture
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the supervision of civil engineering works, construction of berkads, Rainwater catchment, Subsurface dams, Hand dug wells as well as small scale hydraulics structures
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali languages
- Proficient in use of drawing software AutoCAD or similar
- Strong relationships with relevant organizations/actors in target projects communities; youth groups, women organizations, community leaders, local NGOs, media and local authorities
- Good knowledge of water and sanitation, civil engineering, rural hydraulics works
- Experience in managing at least 3 technical support staff
- Excellent organizational, planning and reporting skills
- Good knowledge of the political, social and cultural context of Somalia
- A challenging opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
- Training and development opportunities;
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply:
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address email@example.com. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is address 29th January 2019. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.