Join SEI Latin America and be part of the growth of this dynamic region. For many years, SEI employees from around the world have managed project engagements in Latin America working in thematic areas as diverse as air quality, environmental governance, trade in agricultural commodities, energy systems, and water management and sanitation. In 2018, SEI established a permanent base in Latin America by opening an office in Bogotá, Colombia. We are now looking to build a team of talented and committed environmental and development professionals to contribute to the growth of this new centre, the region and society.
SEI Latin America are recruiting a highly motivated communications professional with experience of working in Latin America to support our researchers in the production and promotion of communications products, in both English and Spanish. S/he/they should have proven track record of translating complex information into formats that reach and resonate with decision makers and be comfortable with developing content across a wide range of channels (digital, printed materials, events and media).
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Developing a centre communications strategy and an annual centre communications plan
- Contribute to the centre’s content for SEI’s global outreach materials (annual report, brochures, fact sheets, etc.)
- Provide guidance on communication budgeting and planning for research proposals
- Support projects with communications expertise, execute project communication plans, budget and delivering communication activities according to time plan
- Manage the centre’s digital presence, including keeping the centre pages on sei.org up to date and regularly adding content to sei.org and SEI social media channels
- Develop and curate a social media presence, in Spanish, for SEI Latin America, but also potentially as a channel for publicizing work carried out across the wider institute
- Be part of the global SEI communications team
- Develop and implement new communication multimedia formats, such as; infographics, videos, photography, etc.
- Manage high-profile centre events.
Who you are
To succeed in this role, you have a demonstrated interest and ability to develop mechanisms for reaching and communicating with policy makers and other stakeholders in the areas of sustainable development and the environment. Please note that we imagine that the successful candidate will have prior experience related to science and policy communication, but are open to candidates who acquired this experience in areas of research other than sustainable development and the environment
Qualifications and experience
- Graduate level training in journalism, communications or public and media relations, with 3 years of related experience
- Or any relevant educational background and a minimum of 5 years of experience in communications. Please note that for this role we value previous relevant experience more important than formal education
- High level of written fluency in both English and Spanish
- Prior experience working as a journalist, or established networks within this professional community, would be preferable
- Experience of management of a social media presence would be considered a substantial benefit while prior experience with new media would also be of interest.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 8 February 2019, 23:59Colombia standard time.
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae.