Officer Sanitation (Senegal Program)
GGGI is looking for a Sanitation Expert to join the team to support technical assistance and delivery of technical components promoting City-Wide Inclusive Sanitation through Climate Resilience and Green Growth. Activities will include provide high-quality technical expertise across all areas of the program; coordinating with stakeholders, government and consultants; facilitating the delivery of technical outputs; and actively contributing the program and country office operations as needed.
The fundamental aims of the Sanitation Officer is to a) provide high quality technical contributions to GGGI’s sanitation operations in Senegal; b) ensure sound and effective sanitation project delivery; and c) secure investor commitment to sanitation investment projects.
GGGI recognizes that water and sanitation have significant implications on green growth in Senegal and are key to all economic activities, affecting households and industries alike. The officer will work in close consultation with the country team, as well as GGGI’s Global Sector Lead on Water and Sanitation, and GGGI’s Sanitation Experts and wider team.
The position will work with the Senegal Country Office and the Global Water and Sanitation Thematic to deliver sanitation projects in Senegal, including accessing financing.
The position will be expected to secure, through a combination of collaboration and persuasion, the buy-in and active involvement of governments, international organizations, and relevant private sector firms in order to contribute towards successful project delivery.
The Sanitation Officer’s role will include:
- Conducting assessments for designing sustainable, inclusive, and climate-resilient sanitation service delivery models and developing governance structures in Senegal, in alignment with Senegal policies and practices, technology and viable business models;
- Supporting development of sector policy and strategies for sanitation in the context of green urban development, in consultation with relevant federal and local government agencies.
- Undertaking policy dialogue with governments and other donor organizations on water and sanitation areas and promoting efficient use of resources and/or reuse and encourage approaches to development planning, financing and sustainability;
- Contributing strong knowledge of the overall structure of the sanitation service delivery sector, the value chain of wastewater and sanitation, the governance structure of the sector, the role of municipal entities, and understanding of service providers and financiers, including investment needs, investment trends and key enabling conditions to increase investments in the sector;
- Coordinating implementation of sanitation projects in Senegal, including stakeholder relations and expectation management; coordinating and contributing to sanitation events and consultations; and supporting the contribution of team members to relevant sanitation project outputs;
- Coordinating with sanitation entrepreneurs and investors, development pitches and strong investment proposals to ensure financing of sanitation projects to be delivered in Senegal.
- An advanced university degree (master's degree or equivalent) in economics, Water and Sanitation, climate change or sustainable development, public administration, international development or any discipline related to the assignment is preferred. A first university degree (Bachelor’s degree) with additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of Advance University degree (Master’s degree).
- Preferably 5 years of professional experience in above fields, with experience related to policy and technical analysis, business development, communication and outreach, stakeholder engagement, project administration and management reporting.
- Preferably some international experience (outside of Senegal) or experience working with international organizations inside of Senegal.
- Knowledge and experience of working with government officials and development partners in Senegal is preferred.
- Good English and French communication (speaking, writing and presentation) skills, including publication of written material and ability to produce high-quality visual aids.
- Native or native level proficiency in spoken Local language is required.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting/supporting macroeconomic assessment, policy analysis, strategic alignment, green growth diagnosis, sector analysis, etc.
- Proven project delivery experience, i.e. managing the delivery of results on budget and time.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different backgrounds.
- Experience in data analysis, research, and application of quantitative/qualitative assessment
- Experience in developing countries context, preferably on policy consultation and project development
- Experience in event organization, outreach and communication
- Understands and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values.
- Promotes an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership,
- Processes and shares information easily and is excellent at problem solving.
- Manages emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily.
The position is subject to funding. The successful applicant would ideally take up the position in early March 2019, with a contract duration of 24 months.