Afghanistan nationals: Shelter/WASH Officer
Purpose of the job:
The purpose of the Shelter / WASH officer position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project. The Shelter / WASH Officer vary from the officer position by providing a range of support within their area of expertise e.g. starting the project with coordination of community and beneficiaries on project site, giving advice and monitoring for implementing project on project site and doing coordination with stakeholder like PED, DED and DoRR.
Note: for more details about this position, please refer to the JD attached at the bottom.
- Generic responsibilities:
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implement delegated education Shelter/WASH project portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- Goal oriented and visionary.
- Having strong sense of responsibilities to NRC core value.
- Knowledge and experience within a relevant situation or technical field and ideally a relevant vocational qualification.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Specific responsibilities:
- Have full understanding of all programs’ goals, objectives, implementation plan and expected result / output.
- Responsible for assessment; project planning, implementation, quality control and monitoring of school construction activities.
- Manage all the phases of the Shelter, school, class room extension / WASH activities including but not limited to; beneficiary selection, project planning, field assistant, project implementation and evaluation.
- Prepare Shelter (school and Class room extension) / WASH (WP, Latrine, HW, GWF..) technical documents (design and BOQ).
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key. stakeholders including but not limited to PED, DEDs, community leaders, school shuras and other Shelter WASH stakeholders.
- Keeping on track recording of activities, training data and program documents.
- Participate actively in project coordination meetings.
- Coordinate closely his or her activities with Education, Shelter and WASH teams.
- Assist her/his direct supervisor/PM on planning, organizing, facilitating and monitoring of projects.
- Be willing to travel throughout the districts and other province(s), this is primarily a field position and will require physical activity in a range of demanding natural environments and conditions.
- Any others tasks assigned by supervisor(s) and Education team in country office in coordination of Shelter/WASH team.
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context hard education preferably construction.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Technical Shelter and WASH expertise.
- Civil Engineer Degree / construction.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting rapid emergency assessments in projects.
- Experience in working in insecure/conflict environments.
- Manage time effectively, prioritizing tasks and able to work to deadlines.
- Working knowledge of English language.
- Computer skills. Able to work productively in periods of high stress and activity.
- A sense of humor.
- Work confidently within a group.
- Able to act on initiative, identify opportunities & proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions.
- Maintains effective performance under pressure.
- Able to decide what steps are needed to achieve particular goals and then implement these.
- Good cultural, social, political and security knowledge of the area.
- Proven communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills with strong experience.
- Good report-writing skills.
- Innovative and creative thinker
- Education title: Civil Engineer Degree / construction.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected