Programme Officer (WASH)
Under the overall direction of the Head of Operations and under the direct supervision of the WASH Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for the successful implementation of the technical components in the WASH projects in South Sudan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the WASH Programme Coordinator in the implementation of the overall WASH strategy for IOM in the country.
- Supervise the technical components of the WASH Programme (Including but not limited to: Static Projects (Emergency and Early Recovery); WASH Mobile Response (Emergency Preparedness and Response–EPnR); WASH Core Pipeline; Cluster Coordination and GBV mainstreaming and response), ensuring the implementation of the required activities for the successful completion of the different projects activities, following closely the donors’ requirements and the directions of the Programme Coordinator (WASH).
- Support the Programme Coordinator (WASH) in ensuring that all the WASH projects meet their intended scope, time, quality and budget. Notify in a timely manner of any change request pertinent and inform of any delay or workaround required for timely completion of activities.
- Support the Programme Coordinator (WASH) in the financial management of projects to guarantee alignment with internal and donor requirements. Ensuring that the budget lines are respected and monitor burn rates for the effective use of the funds.
- Prepare and or review technical specifications, BoQs, drawings of the WASH infrastructure planned to be implemented as necessary in order to guarantee quality of the output and alignment to international and national standards and donor requirements.
- Monitor the implementation of all projects, remotely and through regular visits to the areas of operation, ensuring that the Project WASH Officers are properly utilizing the resources made available in order to effectively provide services to the beneficiaries.
- Manage contracts with service providers or implementing partners. Work closely with the administrative units of IOM to ensure adequate contracts management; close out procedures and final payments to the contractors.
- Ensure an effective and active communication with all the relevant stakeholders. Prepare and submit regular progress reports to the Programme Coordinator (WASH) indicating progress, constrains and requirements for completion in the various projects across South Sudan.
- Supervise directly all the WASH Project Officers. Support the efforts of the WASH Programme Coordinator to provide adequate and relevant capacity building to all the members of the team. Coach and mentor the staff under direct supervision.
- In coordination with the Programme Coordinator (WASH), ensure that any needed operational agreement or authorization from the local authorities is convened to guarantee project stability and good relations with the local government.
- Coordinate with Programme Support Unit to provide the necessary information and documentation for project development and reporting.
- Contribute to mainstream the GBV, AAP and other cross cutting issues related aspects in every phase of the implementation of the WASH activities in close coordination with the Protection officer, GBV officers and WASH Project Officers.
- Act as the Deputy Programme Coordinator (WASH) and substitute him/her in case of leave or absence.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene related projects preferably in the Humanitarian Field;
- Sound knowledge of water, sanitation and hygiene principles for humanitarian assistance, and other relevant trainings;
- Excellent Monitoring and Evaluation Skills; Organizational Skills; Accuracy; Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Experience in post-crisis emergency operations;
- Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage