About the role
The Climate Group is looking for a talented, ambitious and experienced climate policy and international development professional to join its dynamic team in New Delhi as Program Officer – South Asia. They will have the opportunity to play a critical role in driving ambitious climate policy in state and regional governments by engaging with relevant stakeholders across government, business and civil society as well as projects related to pathway planning, transparency, and policy innovation.
The selected candidate will support in delivery and management of key projects with relevant stakeholders in India and across South Asia, reporting to Senior Manager – South Asia Government Relations. This is a full-time position, starting in early 2019 (February), based in The Climate Group’s New Delhi office.
About The Climate Group
Accelerating climate action.
A world of not more than 1.5oC of global warming and greater prosperity for all, without delay.
How we do it
- We bring together powerful networks, of businesses and governments, which shift global markets and policies, towards this goal
- We act as a catalyst to take innovation and solutions to scale. And we use the power of communication to build ambition and pace
- We focus on the greatest global opportunities for change
The Climate Group is an international non-profit, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York.
About Under2 Coalition
The Under2 Coalition is driven by a group of ambitious state and regional governments committed to keeping global temperature rises to under 2°C. The coalition is made up of more than 200 governments who represent over 1.3 billion people and nearly 40% of the global economy.
The Climate Group is the Secretariat to the Under2 Coalition and works with governments to accelerate climate action through three workstreams: 2050 Pathways, scaling innovative policy solutions and transparency. More information is available here: https://www.theclimategroup.org/project/under2-coalition
- Relevant technical, scientific, law or policy graduate degree (Economics, public policy, international development or others)
- Significant relevant experience working on climate policy or related issues in India/South Asia with strong professional references
- Experience of working with Indian government (national and/or state-level) on issues pertaining to international climate policy, clean energy, clean transportation and others
- Proven track record of success in project delivery (including stakeholder consultations, roundtables and webinars), including with partner organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including high-level partners
- Strong analytical and communications skills, as well as strong persuasive writing skills
- Ability to be self-motivated, be solutions-oriented and work independently
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well
- Ability to multi-task within a small team and to manage conflicting priorities
- Superior organizational skills and ability to synthesize information
- Demonstrated ability on problem identification and understanding, conceptualizing solutions, convening stakeholders, communication (spoken and written), implementing solutions
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Existing relationships with nodal departments in Indian states as well as Ministries at the Central Government level
- Ability to understand India’s international negotiation position on climate with respect to UNFCCC processes and its relevance to Indian states
- Understanding of capacity building needs of Indian states in climate change mitigation and resilience including renewable energy policy, energy efficiency policy and programs, climate finance, and adaptation
- Experience of working in a global team environment and navigating across time zones
- Knowledge on clean energy, clean transportation, energy efficiency, short-lived climate pollutants, finance policy and markets.
Work closely with and support Senior Manager – South Asia Government Relations to
- Deliver the regional strategy of the Under2 Coalition including development of the climate finance and climate resilience workstreams in India
- Ensure regular and positive relationship and communication with regional government members of the Under2 Coalition to maximize the involvement of members in our existing and future programs and initiatives.
- Ensure timely delivery of all Under2 projects relevant to India and South Asia
- Support program review and reporting, in coordination with global functional teams, including programs, communications, fundraising and finance
- Proactively monitor progress, key milestones and scheduling to identify potential problems and action to resolve these
- Support funder grant requirements to ensure that these are fully complied with
Communications and events
- Support delivery of Under2 Coalition events and meetings in India and South Asia (when required)
- Work with Senior Manager – SA Govt. Relations and India Communications Manager to ensure that TCG communications and events align and support the aims of the Under2 Coalition’s mission
- Support effective, external communication of the Under2 Coalition with the support of the global communications team and Head of Global Government Engagement
- Represent the organization as a representative when required to external stakeholders in conference calls and other events
- Ensure regular and timely payment of membership contribution from members
- Support development of concept notes working with the fundraising team on new projects and ensure resources are in place to implement regional strategy (India & South Asia)
Terms and conditions
This is a fixed term full-time position for one year, based in New Delhi (India), with occasional travel expected to partner location across India and our headquarters in London. We offer a competitive salary based on experience.
How to apply
Use the 'Apply' button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information or an informal discussion, please contact Sophiyia Jennifer at .
Applications for the position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. The expected closing date for applications is 1st February 2019.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in India, are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by The Climate Group.