Principal: Green Economy Financing Facilities (GEFF)
The EBRD has invested more than €11 billion in over 600 sustainable energy projects since the Sustainable Energy Initiative (SEI) commenced in 2006. The main goal of the Energy Efficiency & Climate Change (E2C2) team is to mainstream the Sustainable Energy Initiative/Sustainable Resource Initiative (SRI) by promoting sustainable energy and resource investments (investments in climate change mitigation and adaption, renewable energy, energy efficiency, water efficiency, materials efficiency and waste minimisation) throughout the Bank’s operations.
The role of the Green Economy Financing Facilities within the E2C2 team is to i) develop and implement new sustainable energy related lines of credit in collaboration with the FI Team; ii), lead on the provision of technical support to the FI team, clients and other external and internal stakeholders, with particular emphasis on working closely with technical cooperation consultants and iii) support government authorities and other relevant stakeholders at all levels in countries of operations in improving the policy framework to promote sustainable energy and resource use.
The Principal will be competent in undertaking all tasks related to, and understands all aspects of project life cycle development and implementation, including project origination, structuring, execution, implementation, technical cooperation, donor financing, and monitoring, related to mainstreaming the established SEI and the new SRI into banking operations.
Reporting to the GEFF Pillar Head, the Principal’s role includes taking on responsibility for effective leadership of sustainable resource components of GEFFs, including all aspects of technical cooperation management, policy dialogue activities, and capacity building.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Work as a principal project team member to develop new SEI/SRI financial products and contribute to all other aspects project structuring and execution, including implementing, and monitoring.
- Undertake marketing and business development efforts in the relevant sector and countries to build reputable market contacts to develop deal flow and cross selling of the Bank’s competencies.
- Oversee monitoring and verification of Financial Institutions use of proceeds.
- Lead identification and structuring of sustainable resource initiative components for EBRD investments, including the associated implementation and operational risks.
- Oversee related due diligence processes ensuring they meet the Bank’s standards.
- In cooperation with relevant units within the Bank, conduct selected policy dialogue projects and contribute to policy dialogue activities in a leading role or support function with local authorities and industry associations to improve the investment climate and strengthen the EBRD impact in the area of resource efficiency.
- Structure and manage outsourced assignments for technical and policy services to clients. These will include project preparation and policy advice.
- Provide necessary support, in the form of relevant information or documentation for meeting participation, towards efforts to procure grants and technical cooperation funds to complement investment projects or required as part of policy dialogue effort.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Relevant degree in a technical discipline, (e.g., engineering and economics); a combination of technical and commercial skills is advantageous.
- Significant relevant, technical and commercial work experience gained from: i) an engineering and/or consultancy organisation; or ii) a company operating in the energy, chemical or manufacturing sectors; or iii) a bank, equity fund, advisory services, corporate finance firm; with a demonstrable track record of successful project development.
- Knowledge and experience with sustainable resource initiatives and the financial institution sector.
- Proven track record in managing consultants and related assignments.
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles
- Good understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of climate change, resource efficiency, energy efficiency, technology transfer and energy.
- Experience in emerging markets, including EBRD countries of operations.
- Computer literacy and excellent written/oral communication skills in English are essential; other languages from country of operations is advantageous
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the audience at the time and confidence in handling senior stakeholders.
- The ability to tackle issues and problems in a logical and practical manner.
This is a short term contract of 9 months.