Development Manager/Associate Director
Position Title: Development Manager/Associate Director (title commensurate with experience)
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Hours: Full Time
Location: Pacific Institute office, Oakland, CA
Reports to: Pacific Institute President
Salary: Commensurate with experience, very competitive benefits package
About the Pacific Institute
Founded in 1987, The Pacific Institute is a global water sustainability think tank that combines science-based thought leadership with active outreach to influence local, national, and international efforts in developing sustainable water policies. Our mission is to create and advance solutions to the world’s most pressing water challenges. From working with Fortune 500 companies to disenfranchised communities, we lead local, national, and international efforts in developing sustainable water policies and delivering meaningful results.
The Institute seeks a development professional to support our fundraising initiatives. The successful candidate will coordinate a cohesive and comprehensive fundraising program and manage all aspects of revenue generated from individual donors and foundations (public, private, corporate, family) and help guide the staff and board’s fundraising efforts along these lines. S/he will also support the development and implementation of a fundraising strategy that aligns the Institute’s five-year organizational plan. This is an important position in a growing non-profit, and we are looking for an enterprising individual with fundraising experience who can grow with us as we expand the scope of our work.
- Coordinate all aspects of the Institute’s major gifts program, including forecasting and budgeting, donor cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation strategies.
- Guide and support the fundraising work of the Board of Directors.
- Participate and guide board fundraising committee to set and monitor fundraising goals and direct the entire board in its fundraising work.
- Oversee the production of mail and e-appeals.
- Initiate and promote a sustainer and planned giving programs.
- Organize and conduct donor cultivation and fundraising events.
- Provide the Institute’s president and board members methodical and consistent support, such as preparation for major donor calls and meetings.
- Provide fundraising training and support for board/staff as needed.
- Maintain Salesforce donor database to track donor information, track institutional fundraising efforts, and produce relevant reports.
- Coordinate institutional fundraising efforts, including foundation and government grants and contracts.
- Oversee foundation prospecting for proposed projects.
- Provide boilerplate material for proposals and reports, support proposal development led by program staff.
- Cultivate and maintain select foundation relationships and work with PI staff to develop these relationships when appropriate.
- Identify and approach funders to support our research and outreach efforts.
- Write general support grant proposals and reports.
Strategy, Planning, and Leadership
- Create and manage fundraising planning documents, such as an annual development plan, activity calendar, and foundation calendar, as well as produce and maintain major donor portfolios.
- Participate in senior management and relevant board meetings, and contribute to the leadership and strategic planning of the Institute.
- Lead an effort to update our strategic fundraising plans.
- Oversee an earned income feasibility/competitive landscape assessment in consultation with the president, senior staff, and board fundraising committee.
- Minimum of three years of experience in fundraising and development work in a nonprofit context, including experience leading strategic funding initiatives.
- Major gift cultivation experience.
- First-hand experience writing, editing, and designing fundraising appeals and collateral for individual donors.
- Donor event planning skills.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Professional background or interest in the Institute’s areas of focus.
- Experience managing staff and establishing departmental priorities.
- Experience with Salesforce database a plus.
This is a full-time, salaried position at 35 hours per week. Starting salary commensurate with experience. The Institute’s competitive benefits package includes a fully paid group health and dental plan, employer-sponsored 403B plan, paid holiday, vacation, sick and family leave.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: . The Pacific Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
For information about the Pacific Institute, visit www.pacinst.org. No calls please.