Postdoctoral Research Associate/Postdoctoral Research Fellow
College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences
Renewable Energy Group
This post is available for 2 years from 1 April 2019 until 31 March 2021, with some scope for flexibility and will support the work of Dr Xiaoyu Yan on an EPSRC funded project "Exeter Multidisciplinary Plastics Research hub: ExeMPLaR" and a NERC funded project, NEXus Thinking for sustainable AGricultural development in Andean countries (NEXT-AG)".
It will be based at our Penryn campus, near Falmouth, in the Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI), a 30 million pound interdisciplinary centre leading cutting-edge research into solutions to problems of environmental change; in doing so we are enhancing people's lives by improving their relationships with the environment.
"Exeter Multidisciplinary Plastics Research hub: ExeMPLaR" aim to develop regional circular plastics systems which optimise circular flows of plastics for the highest value and greatest potential for value creation and significant reduction of negative externalities. "NEXus Thinking for sustainable AGricultural development in Andean countries (NEXT-AG)" aims to deliver new theoretical and conceptual understanding of the impacts of agricultural expansion in the context of the Water-Energy-Food-Environment (WEFE) nexus in Andean countries. It will provide the evidence base for policy makers in these countries to develop new holistic strategies to sustainably meet the increasing national and global food demand.
The post will:
- Develop the first stage of a novel Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) based tool, drawing from different disciplines, to model and evaluate system oriented innovations designed to reduce, re-use, eliminate or substitute fossil plastic use and waste within the ExeMPLaR project
- Develop an LCA based integrated WEFE nexus modelling tool and model how agricultural expansion will affect all WEFE components including energy generation and consumption, local water resources and the environment within the NEXT-AG project
You will work with a diverse group of research partners within the ExeMPLaR and NEXT-AG consortiums to collect and synthesise the data necessary for the LCA tools.
- Possess a relevant PhD (or near completion)
- Be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge in LCA research methods and software tools and databases
- Be able to present information on research progress and outcomes, communicate complex information, orally, in writing and electronically
- Develop research programmes and methodologies
- More detailed requirements are available in the person specification document
At Postdoctoral Research Fellow level, you will also:
- Possess a relevant PhD
- Be a nationally recognised expert in LCA of energy, water, food and plastics systems and technologies
- Be able to supervise the work of others and act as team leader as required
The level of appointment will be based on your qualifications and experience.
To view the Job Description and Person Specification document please click here.
For further information please contact Dr Xiaoyu Yan, or 01326 259485.
The University offers some fantastic benefits including 41 days leave per year, options for flexible working, , onsite gym, cycle to work scheme, sector leading policies around maternity, adoption and shared parental leave (up to 26 weeks full pay), paternity leave (up to 6 weeks full pay), and a new Fertility Treatment Policy.