Civil Associate II (Water)
WHO WE ARE
Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
Michael Baker International’s Water Group provides innovative consulting, planning and engineering solutions for the entire spectrum of the water cycle. We have proven experience in providing a full range of professional services from scientific and technical analysis, concept through design, and construction support services. Protection and management of water resources starts at the watershed level and follows the movement of water through urban and agricultural areas, streams, lakes and reservoirs, water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems, and water/wastewater treatment plants.
Join a high performing team that provides clients with multi-disciplinary engineering and science-based solutions to water resources challenges. Working under the supervision of licensed engineers, this position will support the technical execution of projects within Michael Baker’s Surface Water Practice primarily in the Mid-Atlantic region but with growth opportunities nationwide. This position has the opportunity to work with an established client on ground breaking work in the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
The candidate who fills this position will be called upon to:
- Provide technical and non-technical support on various water resources, engineering, mapping, database, and environmental compliance projects.
- Assist with various tasks associated with stormwater management, general civil engineering, hydrology and hydraulics (H&H), sediment and erosion control, TMDL implementation planning, Low Impact Development best management practices design, compliance with state and federal environmental requirements and sustainability.
- Conduct water quantity and/or water quality modeling, develop summary tables of data and modeling results, complete moderate to complex calculations and prepare maps in ArcGIS or CADD.
- Assist in the preparation of quantities and construction cost estimates and schedules.
- Prepare routine reports and design drawings as well as occasional administrative work.
- Visit project work sites to collect field data and report findings to Engineers and/or Project Managers.
A typical day may include:
- Collaborating with other members of the team in Alexandria and in Michael Baker offices across the country;
- Actively participating in the development of project workplans and being responsible for voicing recommendations for next steps or identifying issues with data or methods and proposing solutions
- Completing various types of technical analysis to address water resources challenges
- Writing reports and memorandums for a variety of different audiences.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, time management, ability to multitask and prioritize competing project obligations.
- Ability to work well with others and capacity to learn new skills on the job quickly
- Ability to work to participate in field work which may need to be completed in hot and cold weather conditions and in areas of rough terrain.
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite including Word, Outlook, Project, Excel and PowerPoint - experience with ArcGIS and CADD is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
- 2 -6 years of experience under a registered professional engineer.
- Demonstrated history of technical leadership and independent success.
- High level of proficiency using ESRI software, including ArcGIS 10x.