EPANET Consultancy for WASH Programme
For every child, a future
In 2016, UNICEF DPRK country office conducted an independent evaluation of Gravity Fed Water System (GFS) built over a period of 13 years. One of the recommendations from the evaluation was to further strengthen the capacity of local engineers and technicians on design, construction, operation and maintenance of water supply networks. There is plenty of room for improvement in the quality and economic design, especially on designs carried out by novice designers. We're therefore looking to contract a GFS expert to review the design quality of water supply networks that are supported through UNICEF's WASH programme in DPRK.
How can you make a difference?
The purpose of the consultancy is to support the country office in review and improvement of designs of at least 20 water supply networks and to strengthen the capacity of the government in improving their skills in design of water supply networks. The consultant will also document common errors in the design and document and share lessons learned.
In particular, the consultant will:
- Review EPANET design of at least 10 new water supply network designs and 10 designs for repair and restoration/rehabilitation of water supply network
- Check the design against compliance with the feasibility and design manual completed in 2018
- Improve the design to make it optimal and economical
- Document the common errors in design and compile and share the lessons learned to improve it
The assignment is estimated at 25 working days spread over 11 months, until January 2020. The consultant will work remotely from her/his location; there is no anticipated need for travel to DPRK as part of this assignment.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
- Advanced degree (Master's or higher) in Civil engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Geology/ Hydrology/ Sanitation engineering
- Extensive experience on EPANET software and must have used EPANET to design or review water supply networks at least once in the past six months
- Previous work experience with UNICEF or other international organization working in WASH Sector is an asset
- Previous experience in DPRK would be an asset
- Strong report writing skills
- Fluency in English
- Team player, flexible, able to work with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
Interested applicants are requested to submit: 1) Cover letter/application, 2) Lump sum financial quote for the consultancy with a breakdown in daily rate, 3) CV, 4) Examples of previous, relevant work, 5) References.
See full Terms of Reference.docx for details.