The Communications Associate owns our organization’s social media presence, prepares and organizes emails, updates website content, and supports general organizational communications needs.
WEC and WCV are looking for a savvy and creative new member of our team who is excited about working to better engage the public around health and environmental issues in Washington. Experience with social and email advocacy will be helpful but the successful candidate will have a variety of experience improving engagement with the public and a commitment to our mission to protect Washington’s health and environment for all.
This position reports to the Communications Director and works closely with the Graphic Communications Associate and Digital Communications Manager.
Washington Environmental Council (WEC) is a nonprofit, statewide advocacy organization that drives positive change to solve our state’s most pressing environmental challenges. For 50 years, we have been at the forefront of environmental protection in the state, securing laws and policies that safeguard the health of our families and our environment. From bedrock laws like the State Environmental Policy Act, to free electronic waste recycling, to finding solutions that reduce our climate emissions and build our clean energy economy, WEC ensures a healthy future for our state so it remains a great place to live and work.
Washington Conservation Voters (WCV) is the statewide political voice for the environment. We work to elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices. Working with allies in the community, we advocate for strong environmental policies and hold our elected officials accountable during the legislative session. Through our political work, we are strengthening laws that safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state and our economic future.
By effectively combining the policy know-how of WEC with the political know-how of WCV, we have reshaped how environmental protection is achieved in Washington state. While both organizations are independent, we work very closely together. Combined, we have a staff of more than 35 and work in a LEED-certified building in downtown Seattle with a view of Elliott Bay. We offer competitive salaries, good benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference. We are committed to a diverse, socially just, and welcoming work environment and people of color, people with varying abilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply. We seek to apply a social and racial justice lens to all of our work.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time, exempt position with a starting salary range of $40,000 to $45,000 depending on experience. We also offer a generous benefits package including: employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401k plan and organizational match of up to 3% of your annual salary; a flexible spending account; paid vacation and sick leave and ten paid holidays per year; an unlimited ORCA transit pass; and if you work for seven consecutive years you are eligible for a two-month paid sabbatical.
Please submit a resume and cover letter addressed to the Hiring Committee online here. No phone calls or mailed applications please.
Washington Environmental Council and Washington Conservation Voters are equal opportunity employers committed to dismantling structural racism and creating a welcoming work environment. WEC and WCV do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Content creation – 70%
- Social Media Management
- Own the day-to-day social media management on Facebook and Twitter, including copy writing, posting, and responding to comments and messages for WEC, WCV, Stand Up To Oil, People For Puget Sound, Alliance for Jobs and Clean Energy, Environmental Priorities Coalition, and Living Evergreen.
- Implement a social media calendar
- Track social media presence of all accounts
- Come up with new and creative ways to keep daily followers engaged as well as ways to bring in new people to our organization’s values and drive them towards advocacy. Work with Graphic Communications Associate to design images and videos.
- Expand and explore new social media platforms such as Instagram and LinkedIn
- Email Management
- Set up email campaigns, specialized list targeting, and action page creative for WEC/WCV as well as various coalition campaigns
- Ensure that graphics and key messages are consistent across platforms
- Website management
- Maintain and improve WEC and WCV WordPress website content and keep track of website analytics
- Update coalition websites, including Alliance for Jobs and Clean Energy, Stand Up To Oil, and Power Past Coal
- Develop and manage editorial calendar for website content and work with staff and communications team to write new web content, e.g. blog posts and updates, to show the impact of our work
- Manage organizational feedback and information email account.
- Track and analyze mentions of both organizations and staff, hits for legislation and candidates, as well as the issues we advocate in the news media
- Manage and continuously update our Salesforce media list, maintain media lists for specific release announcements and coalition campaigns
- Own the process of posting organizational announcements and press releases to websites
- Serve on one of WEC/WCV’s committees on racial equity
- Assist with fundraising and other organizational events as needed
- At least two years of experience with non-profit, political, or advocacy communications
- Proven ability to break down and explain complex problems so the average person can understand
- Effective social media campaign experience on a variety of mediums
- Deadline-driven with an ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple short-term and long-term projects simultaneously
- Willingness to engage with and better understand racial equity and commitment to environmental justice
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with staff across issues, campaigns, and organizations
- Direct experience managing email lists and social media campaign creative
- Some experience with managing website content, proficiency with Google Analytics, and WordPress
- Some familiarity with Salesforce, Campaign Monitor, Phone2Action, or Form Assembly
- Knowledge of environmental issues and/or state politics