TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe seeks a Value Chain Expert for the Feed the Future Ghana Agriculture and Natural Resource Management Project (AgNRM) in Northern Ghana that aims to increase rural wealth and improve nutrition with an emphasis on preserving natural areas, improving management of water resources, and strengthening Natural Resource Management (NRM) governance and advocacy.
The position will be responsible for the design, management and implementation of project activities focused on specific agricultural value chain and in addition applying value chain approaches to the agricultural and natural resource sectors, including fostering vertical and horizontal relationships in the industry to increase quality of services and products, especially for smallholder farmers, and promote competitiveness of the industry. This will provide an opportunity for the expert to work closely with senior program management to oversee tasks and responsibilities including, but not limited to:
· Provide technical leadership and direction for all food security activities to ensure successful implementation, delivery, and program results, including the following:
· Identify value chains that generate the most impact;
· Refine value chain development concept so that they can be compared in terms of cost to the program impact on the program’s objectives;
· Develop support programs to strengthen chosen value chains;
· Oversee the execution of support to value chains from technical service providers.
· Assess opportunities for collaboration with private sector entities in relevant agricultural value chains
· Coordinate with all stakeholders in Ghana, including industry and project partners
· Provide support services and market linkages advisory support to internal team members as well as to clients and stakeholders
· In areas where clients need additional support, develop and deliver formal marketing business trainings
· Work with the AgNRM team to devise strategies that consist of most efficient and cost-effective tactics and methods to sell clients products, also provide direction to clients in identifying and qualifying sales opportunities.
· Communicate regularly with the AgNRM team and clients in order to support their activities, provide additional support, and track key metrics
· Work with SMEs to manage their expectations around TechnoServe support and involvement, and correctly convey at all times what AgNRM will do for the SMEs (as well as what it will not do)
· Represent the project at relevant stakeholder meetings and gatherings
· Support the development of the Ghana annual project work plan
· Provide periodic progress reports to Ghana Team Leader
· Recruit and manage short-term consultants and volunteer consultants in Ghana
· Prepare necessary project reports, ensuring the final documents adhere to donor reporting requirements and are submitted on-schedule.
You must have:
• Advanced degree in agriculture, economics, business, economics, or related field, excellent academic record
• At least 10 years of experience in agricultural and natural resources value chains, rural development and/or rural finance, of which at least five should be in a developing country
• Broad expertise in tree crops and natural resources value chains
• Highly financially and computer literate and be adept at working with multiple stakeholders
• Excellent people and project management skills
• Significant interpersonal and communication skills, especially in multicultural and multi-ethnic context
• Experience in working closely with producers, traders, wholesalers, retailers and consumers.
• Experience facilitating relations between private sector and government.
• Adept at developing and sustaining high-level relationships
• Strong analytical skills and strategic capacities
• Inspiring leader and networker
• Strong team player and consensus builder
• Experience designing and overseeing M&E data collection and reporting for agriculture/food security projects.
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills