Application Deadline: Position Open Until Filled
Job Title: Communications & Outreach Associate
Location: Portland, OR
Duration: Permanent, Full-time
Expected Start Date: Before January 1, 2017 (Flexible)
Department(s): Development & Communications
Overview: The Freshwater Trust, a river restoration organization based in Portland, Oregon, is seeking a multifaceted, ambitious professional to complement and support the efforts of our Development & Communications Department. The successful candidate will be able to manage a diverse array of assignments, deliver high-quality product in a timely fashion, have a natural sense of curiosity and propensity for learning, and go above and beyond to both research and propose bold, new ideas. The Communications & Outreach Associate will produce content for multiple communications mediums based upon the strategy and overall annual plan outlined by the Communications Director, track and report upon the performance of that content monthly, oversee logistics for planned events hosted by the organization, and be willing to jump in wherever necessary on other tasks as needed by the team.
The Communications & Outreach Associate reports to the Communications Director and works closely with other members of the Development & Communications team, the Managing Director and the President. This full-time position is located in Portland, Oregon, and is open until filled.
- Oversee the development and distribution of our monthly e-newsletter BlueNews.
- Produce content for all social media mediums and diligently track performance, reporting back to the Communications Director once a month.
- Write press releases and pitch them to local news outlets to help the organization receive earned media.
- Write other content for various print and online communications mediums needed for the organization. This may include brochures, blogs, annual report content and more.
- Plan, organize, and host local outreach events. Act as a public ambassador for the organization.
- Scope, manage, and execute logistics for various events hosted by the organization throughout the year.
Minimum Skills and Qualifications:
- 2+ years’ experience working in communications, public relations, or marketing profession
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
- Exceptional communications skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Strong strategic, analytical, organizational and persuasive/sales skills
- High attention to detail with a good eye for design and ability to follow branding guidelines
- Ability to manage multiple, competing deadlines
- Dynamic, positive, highly motivated, responsible and self-directed
- Willingness to accept and implement critical feedback
- Comfortable in social settings and engaging the public around key messages and targets
- Flexible go-getter who’s willing to roll up their sleeves and chip in where needed
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or equivalent years of experience
- Must be able to work Monday through Friday 8:30-5:00 in the Portland, Oregon office
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Position Type/Hours: Full-Time
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including generous paid time off, fully paid healthcare and dental and retirement contribution