The position is responsible for managing the Water Initiative in Khoyrasol & Rajnagar Block of Birbhum District, West Bengal.
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for, supporting the program design and management plan, execution and supervision of water, sanitation and hygiene interventions proposed in the project, and monitoring at all stages of the project operational cycle.
- Manage and support the baseline studies and assessments to establish the status of key water, sanitation and hygiene indicators in schools and communities.
- Engage in the development of program strategy towards block transformation focusing on Improved WASH in facilities and communities
- Support activities to be implemented by any collaborations for the project research, technical support, scaling up and replication, documentation etc.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the local government, panchayat raj institutions, other implementation partners of National Stok Exchange Foundation to maximize efficiencies and outcomes.
- Plan coordinated implementation of program interventions in collaboration with the local government Institutions and other stakeholders in the district.
Programme Management and Implementation in the District
- Engage in the development of annual plans, assigning of implementation responsibilities, oversight to ensure program quality and timely implementation.
- Monitor achievement of targets on monthly basis and develop a response plan in case of any deviations (financial and physical).
- Ensure adherence to all guidelines related to procurements, program implementation, technical guidelines and processes.
- Develop field movement plans, guide and engage with teams to facilitate seamless implementation of the program
- Understand community dynamics, engaging them proactively, mobilizing them towards project goals, leveraging innovative means to ensure community participation and sustainability of the program.
- Work in close coordination with the technical team and site engineer in supervising the retrofitting/construction of WASH facilities in schools and communities.
- Provide support to the team in preparation of technical drawings like Plan and estimates for school and community WASH program which includes toilets and drinking water (drinking water station, hand pumps etc.) in consultation with Junior Project Engineer.
- Engage in the institution building components and ensure routine follow up at the community and facilities level.
- Coordinate with district/block level official and internal and external resources in capacity building of implementing team members and the stakeholders (VWSC, School Teachers, Anganwadi workers, Water user Committees etc.)
- Support in developing training module, IEC material and conducting training in the project villages.
- Establish and implement the routine program review process with the teams and stakeholders (government, other development players)
- Extend full support to leverage resources from the community, local institutions, block and district level
- Present program progress in regular and periodic review meetings with the Program Lead and teams.
- Bring to the attention of the line manager/senior management, any issues affecting achievement of program outcomes and suggest mitigation measures
- Responsible for submission of high quality reports on monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress (both narrative and financial).
- Review all budgets and expenses related to program and seek necessary authorization, incur expenses as per the specified authority limits
- Engage with the finance team for monthly monitoring of program finances against operational plans and budgets, in line with the guidelines of the Donor/s and Water For People India as well as the statutory requirements.
- Support all program assessments, audits and compliance reviews and ensure integration of all recommendations
- In consultation with the communications team/point person, manage a local level process documentation on program approaches and processes, components and monitoring data.
- Represent WFPIT in forums at the communities, facilities, block, district level for increased networking and advocacy on water and sanitation rights and entitlement.
- Assist the Program Team to conduct feasibility /technical study, other assessments towards expanding the operation of WFPIT.
- Contribute to develop policies, guidelines, technical notes, to improve the program quality.
- Provide support to project team in documentation of success stories from the field and sharing in various platforms.
- Guide and support program team and other implementation partners of National Stock Exchange Foundation to achieve program objectives.
- Guide and mentor team to work in coordinated and efficient manner, thereby optimizing utilization of skills and resources.
- Manage collaborations established under the initiative.
- Support the line manager to ensure adherence to all donor guidelines, Water For People India guidelines and periodic visits
- Collaborate and participate for effective management of donor relationship.
- Participate in routine calls and communication with various stakeholders to share updates on program progress, achievements, challenges and data related queries (programmatic and financial).
- Provide required documents for sharing updates and draft any specific requests for Water For People India management/donor.
- Organize, engage and participate in all on-site visits, meetings and consultations, events at the project location.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Implement/support all monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Maintain an up-to-date monitoring data against the programme framework and specifically, data on programme coverage/reach, key programme indicators, target groups etc.
- Ensure data from monitoring and evaluation is used for mid-course correction and strengthening the program.
- Engage in the identification, documentation and dissemination of best practices and learnings at the district and state level.
- Lead/support/coordinate any training programmes for teams, partner organisations and other stakeholders
- Any other task assigned by the line manager
Education/Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Civil engineering / Post-graduation in Social Sciences; Management (or any equivalent field)
- Essential experience in implementation of community water supply schemes (civil works/institution building).
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in similar organizational/ functional context
- Prior experience of working in West Bengal (At least 3 years).
- Experience of working with government stakeholders and government liaising would be preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
- Holistic understanding of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion and inter-sectoral linkages.
- Analytical ability to analyse policies and implementation strategies of government programs.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage, develop and motivate team to maximize their potential and drive performance.
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve results, while maintaining congeniality and professionalism.
- Knowledge of GIS will be added advantage.
- Should be comfortable in speaking, reading and writing Bengali
- Passionate, results driven and a team player
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to travel domestically to project locations, where travel is rugged, up to 80% of time
- Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting international visitors
- This position will be based at Khoyrasol Block, Birbhum District, West Bengal
Application Process & Last Date
Interested candidates with relevant experience should send a covering letter along with updated resume, giving details of three references, Current and Expected compensation to by or before 18th January 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of Project Officer” in the subject line
Considering the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.