Research Scientist (National Center for Computational Hydroscience and Engineering)
This is a position for a professional, entry-level research scientist whose primary responsibility is to conduct basic and applied research, under supervision or independently, without the obligation of lecturing classes. The incumbent is expected to supervise Research Associates and Post-Doctoral Research Associates, which may include training and guidance in defining a research problem and advising research approaches. The incumbent is also expected to seek funding opportunities by submitting proposals in collaboration with a higher-ranking research faculty or scientist and to serve, if appropriate, as Co-P.I. of research projects. Publishing journal and conference papers, and perform some basic duties in grant administration is also a part of this position.
Examples of Work Performed
1. Develops fundamental research and engineering projects in water resources and river/reservoir management in relation with erosion control, sediment transport, fluvial morphodynamics, river basin management and planning, dams and other water control structures, flood control, flood and geological risk assessment, and climate change, etc.
2. Develops mathematical models and computer programs for water resources and river/reservoir management in relation with the areas listed under item 1.
3. Develops of numerical model-based Decision Support Systems and tools for agricultural watershed management and for flood emergency management.
4. Integrates state-of-the-art GIS technology, general and scientific programming and trends, database programming and web-based application development concepts with Decision Support Systems.
5. Works in multi-disciplinary environment to create innovative solutions in the area of watershed and reservoir management, flood management, and critical water infrastructure management.
6. Manages research and engineering projects from proposal stage to execution and deliverables.
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering or a related technical field AND at least one (1) year of experience related to the above described duties.
Please attach resume, cover letter and include 3 recommendation letters. Combine the documents into two individual documents and utilize the "cover letter" and "resume" upload feature.
The University of Mississippi complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe campus community. UM conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.