The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI, in partnership with its India affiliate William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF), works in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States’ levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently CHAI/WJCF works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C, tuberculosis, cancer and immunization. Additionally, CHAI is also supporting the Government of Madhya Pradesh (MP) on large-scale programs to arrest childhood and maternal mortality due to malnutrition, anaemia, diarrhoea and pneumonia, and helping increase access to quality Family Planning services.
Program Overview: Nutrition Program – Access to Safe Drinking Water
Since 2016 CHAI, with the support of the IKEA Foundation, has been working to reduce the prevalence of malnutrition amongst young children and anemia amongst women of reproductive age group in Madhya Pradesh. To that end, CHAI, under the leaderships of State Departments, has been implementing a comprehensive set of interventions to address supply and demand side challenges in public funded services. To illustrate, the GoMP has introduced a wholly nutritious complementary food for ~3 million children and ~ 2 million pregnant women and has accelerated the introduction of an improved iron folic acid (IFA) formulation with an assured delivery mechanism to every village
While improving efficiencies of health and nutrition related services is critical to improving nutrition outcomes, access to safe drinking water is critical to the success of these interventions. Fluoride contamination of drinking water is particularly challenging issue in a number of MP districts. Excess intake of fluoride causes fluorosis, which causes corrosion of enamel and swollen gums (in children between 1-4 years). Consistent intake of fluoride causes skeletal degeneration, which retards absorption of calcium. Fluoride intake also reduces the absorption of key micronutrients such as iron and calcium, thereby increasing the risk of anaemia to the exposed population, particularly pregnant women.
To ensure access to safe drinking water, the Public Health Engineering Department (PHED) of the State plans to set up CWTPs (Community Water Treatment Plant) through Self-help Groups (SHGs)/rural entrepreneurs. CHAI is supporting this ambitious plan through technical support and to that end is seeking a highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual for the role of Program Officer.
We are seeking a qualified, experienced, and motivated individual with strong communication, documentation, and program management skills for the position of Program Officer. Successful candidate will have excellent strategic thinking, documentation and communications skills, be able to function independently, be self-motivated, have the ability to thrive in challenging environments, and have a strong commitment to excellence. We place great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, teamwork, interpersonal skills, responsibility, tenacity, energy, and work ethic. Overall, Program Officer would be expected to support in – planning, designing, analysing, coordinating, and documentation of various interventions that have been undertaken under the project.
The Program Officer will report to the Program Manager in Bhopal and assist the PHED by providing technical, analytical, and operational support. The ideal candidate would have rich implementation experience in the field of health/sanitation and strong stakeholder management abilities. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethics.
- Provide technical design and analytical support to the department to aid identification of sites and SHGs/entrepreneurs for setting up CWTPs.
- Support PHED with technology landscape to better inform the department’s decision making to identify suitable technology.
- Support the department in coordinating with technology vendors to ensure timely setting up of the CWTPs.
- Support the department in monitoring day-to-day operations of the CWTPs through department field coordinators and prepare regular reports and analysis for PHED leadership
- Draft standard operating procedure (SOPs) incorporating the best practices of managing CWTPs.
- Support the Department in coordination with stakeholders and to ensure timely execution of the program
- Support Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) through managing baseline/midline/end line surveys
- Travel to various project blocks at a short notice as required by the Department.
- Master’s/Bachelor’s degree in management, economics, engineering, computer science, statistics, operations research economics or allied areas
- Minimum 4 years of overall experience with 2+ years of relevant experience of working in WASH sector. Experience in consulting, investment banking, pharma or insurance analytics would be an added advantage.
- Experience of working with community-based organizations will be an added advantage.
- Excellent analytical (qualitative and quantitative) and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Proven track record of working in challenging multi-stakeholder environments and ability to build relationships with a range of stakeholders and drive immediate results
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and solve problems in a fast-paced, limited-structure
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Fluency in English & Hindi