Technical Specialist / Water and Irrigation Lead
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Water and Irrigation Lead to support the ERAS project and the International Development Division. Under the supervision of the Agronomist, the Water & Irrigation Lead will ensure best water management and irrigation practices are incorporated into EVAS strategies.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Incorporate best water management and irrigation practices in EVAS programming, develop and supports new technologies, and address the demand-driven needs of farmers and Water User Associations.
- Shepherd introduction or upgrading of irrigation technologies across the farms of more than 120,000 small farmers to ultimately put 22,000 hectares under new or improved irrigation. Results from this assistance must contribute to targets set for improved water efficiency, adoption of new agricultural technologies, and/or improved food safety.
- Promote sustainable management and use of natural resources for agricultural production, support producer organization suppliers in identifying appropriate solutions, such as land/water safety and resilience, waste management, or water-use efficiency.
- Guide development of partnerships between Egyptian firms and agricultural organizations to install irrigation systems.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or Master’s degree (preferred) in a relevant field, such as agribusiness, agronomy, or water engineering.
- Minimum of six years of progressively responsible experience managing complex private sector agricultural development programs in a developing country, preferably in the Middle East or North Africa.
- Minimum of three years of specialized expertise in irrigation.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to engage productively with a wide range of organizations, beneficiaries, and related parties (e.g. producers, government, private sector, NGOs, research and training institutions).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required; oral and written fluency in Arabic is desirable.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.