Classification: Senior Officer Grade C
Salary: $113,397 – $122,062 plus superannuation
Position No: 04387, several
Directorate:Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development
Advertised (Gazettal date): 06 January 2022
Contact Officer: Jasmyn Lynch on [email protected] or (02) 6205 4815
Details: The Conservation and Water Planning and Policy Branch comprises four sections focused on Biodiversity Planning and Policy, Biosecurity and Agriculture Policy, Parks Planning and Policy, Environmental (Strategic) Planning, and Water Policy. The branch develops, administers and oversees implementation of several key environmental and conservation strategies, policies and plans to support the environment and the community. The Branch is responsible for legislation relating to nature conservation, fisheries, biosecurity, biodiversity and water. The Branch also provides policy support for the Directorate’s engagement in inter-jurisdictional fora including on biodiversity, biosecurity, environment, water and primary industries. We are recruiting for multiple positions, outlined below. The positions are all opportunities for highly motivated candidates to progress environmental planning and policies for biodiversity conservation and environmental outcomes in the ACT. We also will create a merit pool from the applications of people who may be suitable for other positions of similar duties at this level within the branch.
The current vacancies include the following roles and responsibilities:
Assistant Director, Biosecurity and Agriculture Policy:
This Assistant Director position will work to the Director Biosecurity and Agriculture Policy to:
- Provide high level policy and strategic advice to senior management and the Minister on biosecurity, agriculture and related matters, including preparing and coordinating briefings for AGMIN and Agriculture Senior Officials Committee (AGSOC) meetings.
- Coordinate and manage staff in the provision of evidence-based biosecurity and agriculture-related policy advice and legislation, and the development and drafting of ministerial correspondence and other relevant government documentation.
- Undertake high level communication, negotiation, representation and liaison with Commonwealth, state and territory governments and other key stakeholders, including representing the ACT as required on the Environment and Invasive Committee, Agriculture Minister’s committees and the National Biosecurity Management Consultative Committee.
- Provide policy advice to, and perform secretariat functions for, biosecurity and agriculture committees convened by the EPSDD.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant teams (including operational and research teams) across the ACT Government to strengthen the ACT’s approach to biosecurity and agriculture to improve on-ground outcomes consistent with policy objectives and associated strategies.
Offsets Planning Officer:
This position will work to the Senior Director Conservation and Water Planning and Policy to:
- Provide high-level policy and strategic advice on offsets policy development for the ACT.
- Review the current ACT Offsets Policy and assess its effectiveness in achieving optimal on-ground outcomes consistent with policy objectives.
- Develop a strategic framework for strengthening the effectiveness of the ACT’s offsets policy.
- Assess the efficacy and appropriateness of the ACT’s offsets calculator.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant teams across the ACT Government to strengthen the ACT’s approach to environmental offsets to improve on-ground outcomes consistent with policy objectives and future offsets planning.
- Contribute to the work of the branch as required.
Biodiversity Planning Officer:
This position will work to the Senior Director Conservation and Water Planning and Policy and the Director Biodiversity Planning and Policy to:
- Lead a scoping project that assesses capability and capacity requirements of ACT biodiversity data needs and governance arrangements in a context of future national BDR requirements.
- Undertake relevant ACT government stakeholder consultation and liaison on geospatial data and other data capability, capacity, needs and governance, including as required on national biodiversity data repository issues.
- Potentially undertake procurement to engage consultants to undertake various aspects of the project.
- Manage reporting and policy input on the project and its implications to the executive and stakeholders.
- Deliver a scoping report that outlines a roadmap towards establishment of a biodiversity data repository for the ACT.
- Contribute to the work of the branch as required.
Eligibility/Other requirements: Your suitability for any of these positions will be assessed based on your Skills, Knowledge and Behaviour in relation to the Duties/Responsibilities and any other Eligibility/Other requirements listed in the relevant Position Description.
Note: The Assistant Director, Biosecurity and Agriculture Policy role is a temporary position available from 31 January until 30 June 2023, with a possibility of permanency. The Offsets Planning Officer role is a temporary position available immediately until 30 June 2023. The Biodiversity Planning Officer role is a temporary position available immediately until 30 June 2022 with a possibility of extension. A Merit Pool will be established from this selection process and will be used to fill vacancies over the next 12 months. Selection may be based on application and referee reports only. This position will be moving to a new workplace designed for activity-based working (ABW). Under ABW arrangements, officers will not have a designated workstation/desk.
How to apply: Expressions of Interest are sought from potential candidates and should include a supporting statement of no more than two pages addressing the Selection Criteria in relation to the primary duties/responsibilities and eligibility/other requirements of the role, and a current curriculum vitae. The successful applicant may be selected based on their application and referee report/s only.
Applications should be submitted via the Apply Now button below.
Note: These are temporary positions available immediately with the possibility of extension and/or permanency.