TE2 Technical Engineering Officer 2
Hydrologic Forecasting and Water Management, Technical Services & Operations
Advertisement Number: 38521
Salary(s): TE2 $63,673.00 – $76,696.00 per year
Closing Date: January 31, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Technical Services and Operations (TSO) Division provides oversight for the construction, inspection, preservation, maintenance and operation of provincial highway and winter road networks, northern airports and ferries, bridges, and water-related assets. Also undertakes hydrologic forecasting, flood mitigation initiatives, environmental and Indigenous consultation services, and advances the safety and efficiency of Manitoba’s motor carrier industry. The Hydrologic Forecasting and Water Management Branch within TSO is responsible for providing overall direction and coordination required for the optimum development, allocation and conservation of Manitoba’s water resources. The Branch operates the provincial water management system, is responsible for administration of The Water Resources Administration Act, provides provincial flood forecasting services, develops operational and strategic policies related to water management and leads the provincial response to flood events.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s licence.
- Must be able to travel throughout the province by ground and air transportation for extended periods.
- Must be able to work extended hours.
- Bachelor’s degree with specialization in geography, land use planning or water resource management OR a combination of related education and experience.
- Experience working with ArcGIS software geospatial databases applications and tools.
- Experience in hydraulics, hydrology and water resource science and management.
- Knowledge and understanding of flood plain management and land use planning.
- Knowledge and understanding of bathymetric and land survey techniques, and soils and riverbank instability risk analysis.
- Strong verbal communication skills with experience delivering technical presentations to a variety of audiences.
- The ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative and judgement.
- Effective leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work co-operatively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Supervisory experience.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Hydrologic Forecasting & Water Management, the Senior Flood Protection Planning Officer manages and directs the Flood Protection and Water Management Planning group. Working in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, the position acts as the lead to promote orderly planning and development in compliance with provincial and municipal regulations on land use in order to reduce damages due to flooding, erosion and/or bank instability. This position is ultimately responsible to review assessments and final recommendations regarding the suitability of land, with respect to flood mitigation, water-related infrastructure and hazards.
Advertisement # 38521Service Centre 3Human Resource Services600-155 Carlton StreetWinnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8Phone: 204-945-8819Fax: 204-948-3382Email: [email protected]
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.