- Location: Williamsburg – Georgetown County, SC
- Close Date: 01/30/2022
- Hiring Organization: Winyah Rivers Alliance
- Contact Name: Tina Christensen
- Contact Email: [email protected]
- Job Website
Winyah Rivers Alliance (WRA) has a long history in the preservation of our local rivers and watersheds through our licensed Riverkeepers®. We have been advocating, protecting and monitoring clean water in the Greater Winyah Bay Watershed since 2001. We have 400 members, 11 board members and a staff of 6.
Our mission is to protect, preserve, monitor and revitalize the health of the lands and waters of the greater Winyah Bay watershed. WRA accomplishes its mission by:
- Protecting, monitoring and advocating for clean water
- Building and sustaining relationships with our volunteers, members and donors.
- Building a strong organizational foundation.
- Creating a workplace culture that represents our mission and vision.
- Transforming our community to understand the importance of clean water.
Winyah Rivers Alliance will seek licensing from Waterkeeper Alliance for a Riverkeeper to advocate for the protection of clean water in the Black and Sampit Rivers and adjacent lands in southeast South Carolina for Winyah Rivers
Primary function of the role:
The role is a full-time, salaried position and is flexible home and office based work located in Georgetown, SC. WRA offices are located at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, SC.
The role will:
- Serve as a full-time public advocate for the Black River watershed and assigned territory within the greater Winyah Bay watershed; observing, documenting, and reporting environmentally harmful activity and instituting enforcement action or litigation where appropriate.
- Serve as the official spokesperson for the Riverkeeper® programs in the Black river watershed. This role includes interviews and presentations to public agencies, government officials, foundations, civic groups and the media.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with environmental groups, public officials and agencies. Work with local, state and federal agencies to enhance the enforcement and compliance of existing environmental rules and regulations and identify areas needing new and improved regulation.
- Increase citizen participation in our advocacy and education programs. Recruit, train and maintain a motivated and viable volunteer network to carry out monitoring duties, attend hearings, give presentations and engage in clean up activities.
Riverkeeper®- Black and Sampit Rivers
Full Time- Exempt
Posted November 15, 2021
- Prepare technical and/or advocacy position papers and defend these potentially controversial positions in a professional and technically justifiable manner.
6. Support the interests of Rocky Point Community Forest. Advocate, coordinate and pursue the strategic direction of RPCF. Maintain a collaborative relationship with Georgetown County, the State Park Network collaborative and RPCF volunteer group assuring compliance of funding while developing long term use.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum education level of bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Working knowledge of environmental science, law, land management or related field. Strong environmental ethic.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and manage multiple priorities. Ability to supervise volunteers and encourage their growth. Ability to work with diverse groups and liaise with the scientific community, government agencies, conservation groups, and the public (both residents and visitors). Excellent communication and ability to interact with and understand an audience. Flexibility is essential to success in this position.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret environmental protection rules and regulations and to learn technologies required for water quality monitoring and surveillance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to motivate citizens. Ability to prepare and present public statements and work effectively with the media, including social media to communicate our mission.
- Knowledge of social media programs and apps. Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing. Standard office equipment knowledge (phone, fax, copier, scanner, voice mail, email).
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send a resume along with salary requirements to:
Tina Christensen, Executive Director
Winyah Rivers Alliance
PO Box 554
Conway, SC 29528
*Email is preferred method for all candidate inquiries and for receiving resumes.