Position: Strategic Water Sector Programme Officer
Type of employment: One-year contract with the possibility of extension (on local conditions)
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Danish Embassy in Hatfield, Pretoria
Deadline for application: 23 January 2022
The Royal Danish Embassy in Pretoria is looking for a talented and dynamic new staff member to fulfil the functions of Strategic Water Sector Programme officer at the Embassy.
The Strategic Water Sector Programme Officer will be working in the Strategic Sector Cooperation Team (SSC) and will report to the Head of Development. The SSC team is responsible for coordination, implementation and communication related to the South African – Danish sector cooperation activities. Currently Denmark and South Africa has a very strong engagement in the water, energy and sustainable urban development sector. The SSC team is a dynamic team comprising the Head of Development (also sector advisor on the water programme), sector advisors on urban development, energy and investments, two sector programme officers (water and energy) and two interns. Our new colleague will have a focus on the water sector and will as well contribute to cross cutting activities in the team and the embassy.
The Royal Danish Embassy in Pretoria handles bilateral relations between Denmark and South Africa. The Embassy also covers nine other countries in the region. The Embassy employs more than 20 staff members and comprises apart from the Strategic Sector Cooperation team, a Management Team, an Admin/Finance team, a Consular team, a Political Team and the Trade Council of Denmark. For more information, please visit www.sydafrika.um.dk. The Strategic Water Sector Programme has been successfully under implementation since 2016, is now in the 2nd phase and a 3rd phase is planned to start in January 2023 and will be running until the end of 2026.
The Strategic Sector Cooperation Officer shall fulfil the following main functions:
- Contribute to the development, coordination, operations and implementation of the South African – Danish sector programme with in water;
- Coordinate and be responsible for the Embassy’s role in planning, preparing and implementing water program activities and events such as themed workshops, seminars and study tours
- Contribute and assist in investigations, monitoring and reporting of major water sector specific policy trends and developments
- Contribute to progress monitoring and reporting of the water sector program activities
- Contribute to and participate in activities across the SSC Team where needed
- Liaise with and support the other embassy teams (Trade/Political) and management with Sector specific matters
- Assisting in the implementation of the Embassy’s communication strategy, incl. updating the news section of the Embassy webpage, as well as updating and monitoring the Embassy Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Other tasks as instructed by management
Minimum requirement / Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in political science or economics or related to the policy, managerial or technical components of the core sectors eg. Water, Energy or sustainable urban development;
- Preferably, work experience from a political organization, public administration, industry association, NGO or similar;
- Strong network with in and in depth understanding of institutional set up of one of the core sectors will be an added benefit
- Excellent writing ability and verbal communication skills in English;
- Computer literacy with competence in Microsoft Office packages;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and be able to work independently;
- Applicants must also be able to work as part of a team, have strong problem-solving skills and results-orientation;
- Must be flexible and work well under pressure;
- Applicants must hold or be able to obtain a valid residence and working permits;
- The applicant must have a clean criminal record. Security clearance from relevant Danish authorities will have to be obtained
- Applicants must hold a valid residence and working permit or be able to obtain such (Essential requirement).
- An exciting, intercultural and dynamic work environment with a wide range of diverse tasks.
- Great opportunities for further development of your professional and personal competences.
- A large degree of self-dependence.
- An informal workspace, where we care about each other’s well-being. Employment conditions
- You will be offered a 1 year fixed term local contract with the possibility of extension. The contract will be based on the relevant legally binding labour market rules of South Africa.
- You standard working hours will be 37 hours per week
- You will be entitled to up to 25 working days of paid holiday per full calendar year.
- Your salary will reflect your qualifications, relevant experience and proven work-related results and be determined in accordance with the Danish Embassy’s salary policy.
- As part of your salary, you will be covered by health insurance covering standard level sickness expenses with the Embassy paying 80% of the insurance premium including a shared UIF contribution.
Application and recruitment process
To apply for the position, please send your application (cover letter, CV, proof of relevant education, recommendations and 2-3 references) in English to [email protected] marked with subject line ‘Application for Position as Strategic Water Sector Officer’ or apply via www.PNET.co.za no later than Sunday 23rd January 2022
The Embassy attaches great importance to equal opportunities for all and therefore welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of race, sex, religion, age or disability.
Selected candidates will be invited for interviews that are expected to take place in mid February.
For any questions regarding the position, please contact Counsellor Jørgen Erik Larsen at [email protected]