Mobilizing finance for climate mitigation, resilience and to address climate-related damages is absolutely critical to accelerating the transition to resilient, net zero emissions economies across sectors and geographies at the pace and scale required. The Climate Champions Team are looking to hire a highly motivated, entrepreneurial and passionate expert at the intersection of climate and private finance to lead our finance team full time in 2022.
The successful candidate will be an experienced senior level finance expert with
deep experience mobilizing private financial organisations and networks to address climate-related risks and respond to climate solutions opportunities. You will have deep knowledge of a wide range of levers including shifting asset allocations, policy and corporate engagement, and building coalitions and partnerships.
As the finance team lead, you will have primary responsibility for shaping and implementing the High Level Champions finance objectives and strategies, working closely with the High Level Climate Action Champions and the Climate Champions Senior Leadership Team. A successful candidate will be ready to lead the implementation of this important workstream, working with a talented finance team and partners across the finance sector, governments, investor networks and not-for-profit organisations.
It is a full time contract position starting as soon as possible and running to February 2023, with potential for extension beyond that.
The post is open to independent contractors and job seekers, as well as
employees who can secure at least a one year secondment agreement with their existing employer.
The Climate Champions Team is global in reach, with staff free to work from their preferred location. There is some travel expected in the role.
The remuneration is competitive, commensurate with the requirements of the role and the level of seniority of the Candidate. In line with the Climate Champions Team remuneration structure, adjustments are made depending on the cost base of the country in which the postholder is based.
Diversity is important to us and our work, and we especially encourage applications from staff based in, and with personal and professional experience of, the Global South.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with your name and “Finance Lead Applicant” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with virtual interviews starting w/c 10th January.
- Provide overall strategic direction and ensure delivery of the High Level Champions finance work to accelerate progress toward aligning the global financial system with the most ambitious goals of the Paris Agreement, with a central focus on achieving net zero emissions globally before 2050, limiting global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees Celsius and building climate resilience across societies and the economy. This includes ensuring accountability and impact of net zero pledges, mobilising finance for climate solutions in emerging markets and developing countries, increasing financial flows to adaptation, resilience and loss and damage, and working closely with the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero secretariat and partners.
- Lead, coordinate and regularly convene the High Level Champions Finance Team with a view toward promoting implementation of a cohesive strategy on private finance mobilisation and maximizing the team’s impact. Guide and mentor Team members as appropriate.
- Engage with senior financial institution stakeholders across all segments of the finance sector (including asset owners, asset managers, commercial banks, insurers, consultants and service providers) and the Race to Zero finance sector alliances to build and amplify momentum in the Race to Zero and Race to Resilience
- Assist in defining and implementing approaches to better integrate finance sector leadership into COP27 related opportunities across sectors and geographies
- Oversee and support a work program to scale finance to enable sector transformation in line with achieving a net zero emissions economy globally by 2050.
- Ensure integration of the High Level Champions finance work with the Marrakech Partnership focal points and members to support the operationalization of the ‘Improved Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action for Enhancing Ambition 2021 – 2025”
- Work to ensure private finance ambition and action under the Race to Zero and Race to Resilience supports elevated ambition in Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Agreement as well as alignment of COVID recovery investments with the transition to net zero emissions.
The successful candidate will have 15+ years of experience in climate and private finance. You will be a highly motivated self-starter, happy working across different time zones and cultures in a high-profile, fast-paced environment. You are able to exercise sound judgment with regard to engaging the finance sector and are experienced at building coalitions and fostering collaboration across a wide range of actors. The following requirements are essential:
- Exceptional programme development and leadership skills
- Strong understanding of financial markets and dynamics across the private financial sector
- Experience working in the area of climate-related finance/investment, preferably including in emerging markets and developing countries
- Proven track record of engaging effectively with senior level/C-suite public and private sector leaders
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent team, process and project management skills, with ability to juggle multiple priorities and deadlines, and bring out the best in a diverse team across a broad range of global geographies and time zones
- Excellent communications skills, verbal and written
- Collaborative and collegial working style, and a strong team player
- Ability to manage ambiguity and change
- Committed to systemic transformation of the the financial sector and good understanding of the levers for change to achieve the objectives of the Paris Agreement
- Determination to support climate action, and a commitment to the Climate Champions core values (below)
CLIMATE CHAMPIONS CORE VALUES
- Unite behind the science: we commit to make the changes scientists tell us are needed.
- Build upon the incredible work to date: we will cross-fertilize and amplify the work of the many heroes who have already committed so much to addressing climate change.
- Take into account different ideas and perspectives: we’re willing to be challenged and to challenge, we look for the best in people and the best, most sound and most credible ideas, wherever they come from.
- Practice stubborn optimism: we recognize the scale of the problem, combined with an absolute determination to build our way out.
- Seek progress not perfection: all of us can be criticized and many of those best able to advance this issue are currently the biggest causes of it. We can’t allow cynical greenwashing, but all who are serious about tackling climate change positively will be welcomed.
- Be humble and generous: we keep our egos in check and work together for the good of the whole