Job Purpose and Background in summary
Are you looking to join the global race to stabilise both the environment and the economy? Are you looking for a role that combines your professional experience with an ethical focus? CDP is where business leaders, financiers and policymakers turn for innovative, systemic solutions. This is an exciting, impact-oriented role working on a globally significant issue – the global water crisis. You will be responsible for leading the delivery of two ambitious projects, the first to eliminate pollution from apparel supply chains and the second leading the design of an operational plan for rolling out Science Based Targets for Freshwater (SBTFW) to companies worldwide. You will be empowered to lead on cutting-edge research, advocacy and innovation to mobilise the world’s largest coalition of non-state actors to tackle the global water crisis. Ultimately, you will be working to put water at the heart of business, financial and policy decision-making.
For the Apparel Project, the successful candidate will work with various teams across CDP and external project partners to ensure the highest impact is achieved; deliver key interventions such as thought leadership research, capacity building and engagement; provide day-to-day coordination of activities across internal functions and teams; and will own relationship management and reporting back to the project coordinator.
For the Science-Based Targets for Freshwater (SBTFW) project, the successful candidate will work with various teams across CDP and external project partners to develop an operational plan to roll out the adoption of SBTFW by companies and cities at an industrial scale; represent CDP on a range of SBTFW working groups; monitor progress and evaluate lessons learned to optimise our approach; coordinate activities across internal functions and teams; and own relationship management and reporting back to CDP’s SBTn Council Members.
CDP is a global non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with over 590 institutional investors with assets of over US$110 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 9,600 companies with over 50% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2020. This is in addition to more than 940 cities, states and regions who disclosed, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. CDP is a founding member of the We Mean Business Coalition. Visit https://cdp.net/en or follow us @CDP to find out more.
About the team
Established a decade ago, CDP’s innovative Water Security initiative has driven a step change in the way in which the private sector engages with water issues. As we turn our sights to the future, we are seeking a dynamic individual to join our Water Security Team to provide the support and insights needed to deliver CDP’s Water Security Strategy globally and to align business with the Science Based Targets for Freshwater.
- Leading the development of project deliverables, ensuring high quality outputs for both projects.
- Leading the development of an operational plan to guide the efficient roll out of SBTFW across the organisation.
- Providing SBTFW input into meetings with CDP external stakeholders including companies, investors and policy makers.
- Representing CDP in a range of external SBTFW working groups on topics such as target validation and accountability.
- Conducting data analysis and cutting-edge research that informs corporate best practice, mobilises institutional investors and engages policy makers.
- Supporting the CDP delivery teams with deep water security expertise, providing input into meetings with key stakeholders including companies, investors and policy makers.
- Building water-related capacity within companies and investors via webinars, workshops, briefing notes and public speaking.
- Engaging networks and convening and attending workshops.
- Engaging and developing awareness of water security issues both internally and externally.
- Driving impact through the management and coordination of project delivery teams in the UK and globally, ensuring work is delivered against plans and to budget.
- Leading relationship management with the project coordinator and partners.
- Supporting donor reporting requirements for CDP (including performance and financial reporting).
- Tracking progress against planned outcomes and facilitating robust monitoring and evaluation of CDP’s contribution.
The precise description and nature of your job may be varied from time to time, and you may be required to carry out other duties as necessary to meet business needs. International travel will be required for up to 10% of your time, as COVID restrictions allow.
Required skills and experience:
- At least 4 years’ experience of working to drive environmental change within the private sector – ideally in industrial firms or financial institutions.
- Demonstrable expertise in water security and pollution issues, and an understanding of CDP’s unique contribution to the challenge.
- Experience of managing projects, including budgets, reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
- An understanding of the private sector approaches to addressing water security and pollution issues.
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills and experience in using and maintaining databases.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), presentation and marketing skills with a demonstrable pride in delivering high quality products and an eye for detail.
- Passion, confidence, and initiative. A self-starter who can work independently and part of cross-functional teams in a matrix organisation.
- An ability to quickly process complex information and bring new perspectives to solve challenges.
- Track-record of working effectively with multiple project partners.
- A good team player with the ability to work with and develop relationships with colleagues around the world.
- Strong judgement, good analytical skills and able to present clear arguments.
- Good experience of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Fluency in English and an ability to work from the UK up to 2022.
Desired skills and experience:
- Deep knowledge, understanding and experience of the global apparel sector and its impact on water security.
- Deep knowledge, understanding and experience of the global financial service sector and its impact on water security.
- Experience of corporate procurement and supply chain management.
- An understanding of the corporate reporting landscape and investor expectations around water security.
- Experience of working in a global, non-profit organization.
- Effective influencing skills.
- Strong diplomacy skills and experience in working across multiple teams.
This is a full time, fixed term contract ending 31.12.2022. The role is based at CDP’s headquarters in Central London, UK reporting to the Associate Director – Water Security and with close collaboration with the SBTFW team. Flexible working is fully embraced by the organisation and we encourage you to explore this at interview.
Salary and benefits: range £37,643 to £40,081 dependent on experience, annual discretionary bonus scheme (dependent on company performance), 30 days’ holiday excluding bank holidays, a generous non-contributory pension provision, life assurance, and others.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK – please note this in your cover letter.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to [email protected] with “Project Manager, Water Security” in the subject line. Please note, individuals that do not meet the required skills and experience need not apply.
The closing date for applications is 31st January 2022 at 9:00 hrs GMT. Interviews shall take place 8th to 11th February with the role to start as soon as possible.
- Remote status Hybrid remote