Uganda nationals: WASH Officer
Job title: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Officer
Reporting to: Team Leader Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
Duty Station: Kiryandongo
Overall purpose of the role:
Technically responsible for day to day implementation of WASH activities in refugee settlements and host communities under DRC in Kiryandongo Refugee Settlement
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Work with the District Water Department and health departments in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities to ensure improvement in respect to WASH.
- Participate in the midterm and annual surveys to understand WASH challenges in the field and contribute to development of sustainable systems to overcome the challenges.
- Represent DRC in WASH meetings at settlements and other relevant technical coordination meetings with the donor and external partners.
- Work closely with other DRC sectors and ensure integration of WASH activities with other sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH counterparts in other DRC locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
Coordination and representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to Water supply, Hygiene and Sanitation Promotion.
- Represent DRC at WASH Cluster meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings with the donor and external partners on all aspects related to hygiene and sanitation promotion.
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH counterparts in Kiryandongo
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in a regular sector meeting.
- Together with the WASH Team Leader, initiate development of project concepts and proposal documents in respect to WASH.
- In collaboration with M&E team, develop the project’s M&E tools for monitoring the technical aspects on WASH.
Project implementation and reporting:
- Follow up proper management of WASH project grants through budget control using agreed budget tracker (s).
- Monitor and Evaluate the WASH Projects.
- Provide technical support to WASH Assistants to ensure they execute their duties effectively.
- Ensure effective implementation and quality control of the WASH Projects based on donors and Uganda National Standards and Policies
- Prepare WASH daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to donors and relevant authorities.
- Execute other duties as signed by the supervisor
- Supervise the WASH Hygiene and Sanitation Assistants in the field.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the WASH staff members and community based staff in Kiryandongo operational area
- Assist in the development of staff performance objectives, targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits to support field staffs - mentoring - through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers.
- Support the WASH Team leader to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups on a daily/weekly/ annual basis.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters within the Project Implementation Area.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure the delivery of supplies to the right beneficiaries following our SOPs.
- Contribute to grants management of all WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least three years' experience in implementing WASH project especially in hygiene promotion, etc.
- Skill in water networks designing is mandatory
- Motorcycle riding skills are an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of WASH national and international standards
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel, and statistical packages)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
- Demonstrated ability to work in war conflict areas
- To establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure and culturally sensitive.
- BA degree/higher diploma Water/civil Engineering, Environment Health Science, or WASH related course from recognized institution.
- Social science courses can be considered with relevant technical experience in WASH activities
- Postgraduate Diploma in Project Planning and Management an asset
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the local languages is an added advantage
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications close on 3rd January 2019
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.