Environment Writer and Copy Editor (English)
Based in Hanoi, Vietnam
ICEM – International Centre for Environmental Management is an award-winning independent technical service centre that assists government, private sector and communities to define and implement policies for sustainable development. Established in Australia 1999, ICEM has its regional headquarters in Hanoi and is staffed by full-time international and national technical and administrative personnel.
ICEM works in Asia and the Pacific – especially in the Mekong countries and focuses on climate change, water resources management, disaster risk management, resilience, renewable energy, environmental assessment, environmental economics, nature-based solutions (NBS) and biodiversity conservation. ICEM seeks to integrate environmental concerns with development through spatial planning, modelling, socio-economic analysis and environmental assessment tools.
ICEM is now seeking to employ an Environment Writer and English Copy Editor for its headquarters in Hanoi, Vietnam on a two-year renewable contract to creatively contribute to ICEM’s evolving communications programme. The successful candidate would be ready to support our international team by refining and executing ICEM’s English editorial style and policies; supporting the preparation of ICEM communication products such as reports, briefing papers and case studies; and editing, fact checking & addressing the layout of internal and external materials. The Environment Writer and Copy Editor should be able to confidently work in English writing and editing to the highest international standards, taking product through to final stage ready for design and publication.
Reporting to the ICEM Communications Manager, the position includes the following key tasks:
- Support ICEM’s global team through the review and editing of key internal and external deliverables in various medias in English;
- Write key communications products such as briefs, blogs, articles, new items and case studies drawing from ICEM projects and activities;
- Support the development and implementation of ICEM’s editorial style and policies;
- Review and contribute to key internal and external deliverables including but not limited to:
- Grants, project proposals and concept notes;
- reports and technical deliverables;
- project, trainings and workshop presentations;
- research and discussion papers;
- publications and print materials (brochure, flyers, etc.)
- web material, blog posts and social media posts; &
- other “marketing” material including PowerPoints, press releases and multi-media content.
- Support other team members in the writing and development of key internal and external documents in support of ICEM’s goals and needs, based on key structures and information given.
Candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree is desirable in related fields such as English, communications, publishing or in journalism with an environmental orientation;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience as a writer and copy editor;
- Competence with WordPress CMS or similar system;
- Competence with MS Office Suite.
Additional qualifications and skills:
- Experience and interest in the fields of climate change and ecologically sustainable development;
- Advanced capacities as a writer to international standard with experience in environmental fields;
- Strong knowledge and experience working with diverse teams to address copy editing across text, digital media and proposals;
- Experience in using social media platforms;
- Creativity, flexibility and ability to take initiative;
- Experience working with the Adobe Suite of media products such as Illustrator or InDesign seen as a plus.
The position is Hanoi-based but may require an initial period of remote working depending on COVID restrictions.
To apply, send a cover memo and updated CV with contact details of two references to ICEM at Ms Mai Quynh Luong ([email protected] and [email protected]). For more information about ICEM, visit www.icem.com.au
Applications close on 6th February 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.