I. Position Information
Job Title: Project Engineer (Water)
Duty Station: North Lebanon with frequent travel to site and Beirut
Section/Unit: Energy & Environment
Reports to: Programme Analyst/Office in Charge
Project reference: 00088194
Budgeted level: SC-8
Source of Funding: KfWII
Duration of Employment: 1 year
Following the Syrian Crisis, the majority of refugees are being hosted in communities that are among the poorest in the country, including the North of Lebanon and the Bekaa. These communities suffer from poor water services due to lack of adequate infrastructure and have limited means to expand local infrastructure.
As such under the umbrella of the support to the host-communities programme of UNDP and in coordination with the Ministry of Energy and Water, UNDP is implementing several projects on water (domestic water supply and irrigation canal construction) as well as waste water in North Lebanon.
Accordingly, UNDP Energy and Environment Programme is seeking to recruit a Project Engineer to assist in proper identification, design and follow-up of water projects including site supervision of the works and follow up on all activities undertaken by Contractors.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
The Project Engineer will be responsible for the review of project design documents, the supervision and monitoring of all the works that will take place on the ground. The incumbent should ensure full coordination of activities with the North Lebanon Water Establishment (NLWE) and Local Authorities, UN agencies, international NGOs and other actors working in the region to ensure activities are complementary. In addition, the Project Engineer will be responsible for attending site meetings, ensuring the Contractor’s implementation of site instructions, assist in the preparation of progress reports.
The specific functions of the Project Engineer include:
1. Technical Support
– Follow-up with the entity contracted to identify and design the proposed water infrastructure projects on the ground. This task includes supporting the entity to identify the most appropriate intervention and liaising with UNDP to ensure that the assessment process is properly implemented.
– Assist Project Manager in review of the design of the proposed intervention and accordingly prepare tender documents in line with UNDP procurement guidelines;
– Assist in preparation of Tender documents and drawings/sketches as needed;
– Liaise with North Lebanon Water Establishment (NLWE) to clarify design matters and compliance with NLWE requirements, and coordinate with the Local Authorities (Municipalities) to validate selection and implementation of activities.
– Assist in evaluation of submitted Contractors offers to select winning contractor;
2. Coordination and Project Oversight
– Support UNDP in the coordination of water projects under implementation in other regions as well as for those in the North of Lebanon
– Ensure linkages and complementarity between the various projects working in this sector
– Assist in identifying possible new interventions in water, waste water and irrigation in line with the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan and national plans/programmes.
– Support UNDP is project proposal development and donor reporting as required
3. Site Supervision and Monitoring
– Monitor Contract progress, identifying bottlenecks, and pointing-out declining performance of Contractor;
– Review Contractor’s schedule and method statement in respect of all civil works;
– Ensure Contractor’s compliance with the Terms and Conditions of the Contract;
– Prepare drawings/sketches as needed to clarify site instructions;
– Liaise with Contractor’s staff in all site matters and assist in finding practical solutions to daily site problems;
– Control engineering works and in particular the quality of works, safety and environmental aspects and compliance with the Contract;
– Inspect works for conformity to specifications and design instructions; and ensure work compliance with relevant engineering standards and codes;
– Convey progress, comments, problems etc. to UNDP team regarding the works;
– Review and monitor planning schedules, analyze potential or occurring constraints/delays and oversee the implementation of remedial measures, including extending assistance to Contractor to reschedule priorities;
4. Reporting and Site Correspondence:
– Maintain site records of completed works;
– Attend regular site meetings with Contractor and other third parties as needed;
– Maintain records of the Contractor’s activities, plant and labour;
– Prepare, dispatch, and receive site correspondence;
– Maintain a filing system;
– Develop and prepare progress reports;
– Coordinate and maintain contact with the Project Team, NLWE and Local Authorities;
– Highly motivated, pleasant character, skills in communication and coordination with local communities and other concerned partners;
– Ability to assume responsibility and to supervise the work of others;
– Good communication skills;
– Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately;
– Mobile with a valid driver’s license;
– Willingness to work long hours during periods of peak work;
– Teamwork spirit and willingness to learn and embrace additional responsibilities within the team;
– Good reporting skills
– Priority will be given to applicants residing in the North of Lebanon.
– Willing to travel regularly to the project sites specifically in Akkar and to occasionally to Beirut
V. Recruitment Qualifications
– Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other closely related field.
– Master degree is an asset.
– Bachelor’s Degree with Minimum of 5 years of site experience or Master’s Degree with 3 years of relevant experience in field supervision of works.
– Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications and relevant computer applications.
– GIS working knowledge is an asset.
– Experience with UN or international donor project(s) is an asset.
Language Requirements: Fluent Arabic and English. French is an asset.