AWS is looking for a results-oriented individual to join the AWS water infrastructure team. In this role, you will execute projects related to water based cooling system infrastructure with assistance from internal teams including construction, operations, engineering, environmental, and project commissioning teams. You will work with outside engineering consultants and general contractors, water treatment and sampling vendors and local water and wastewater utilities on feasibility and design work that ensures our infrastructure projects meet regulatory standards and a high bar for operational efficiency, reliability, and safety at the lowest possible cost. You will deliver water sustainability projects for AWS Infrastructure in US Midwest and East Coast regions, as you execute on the delivery of multiple water infrastructure development projects, monitor operational efficiency metrics, and build in system resiliency after project hand-off to regional operations teams. You will also be the central point of contact for all issues pertaining to water and wastewater treatment and disinfection systems and for managing healthy relationships with our utility partners. If you have strong civil background and an understanding of water-cooled infrastructure in building operations, are interested in innovation and sustainability in the water sector, and understand the feasibility of construction under various designs, you are a probably a good fit
Key job responsibilities
The Water Projects Engineer will be responsible for the following:
• Engineer, implement and monitor water treatment/operations projects and identify optimal design criteria for scaling projects to full-scale deployment across different regions in North America.
• Work with internal teams to trouble shoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) for design and fleet deployed water systems.
• Work with local water utilities to understand and coordinate site utility requirements, site inspections and compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements.
• Work with Operations to develop resiliency plans for water supply sources
• Deliver projects that directly support water sustainability goals
• Oversee support and testing/validation of systems during installation, operation, and maintenance of water treatment equipment and associated mechanical system.
• Interface with internal engineering, operations, real estate and environmental health and safety and legal teams to develop and implement solutions in rural areas that often lack adequate available water and wastewater infrastructure.
• Overseeing maintenance, reliability and compliance of on-site water treatment and disinfection systems.
• Up to 25% travel as needed for project execution where authorized.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Mechanical/Chemical/Environmental Engineering
• 7+ years of project-related experience working with local or state government agencies, utilities, site development due diligence and/or permitting entities.
• Working knowledge of water chemistry and conventional/membrane water treatment technologies for industrial applications with 7+years of experience with industrial or commercial field engineering in data centers.
• 10+ years of direct experience with the construction, operation, or maintenance of water treatment equipment fleet management.
• Experience reading and interpreting schematic engineering and construction drawings and equipment specifications and able to carry design concepts from exploration and development through deployment and scalable implementation.
• Advanced degree in Mechanical/Chemical/Environmental/Civil Engineering.
• Strong understanding of civil/mechanical/plumbing related to data centers or similar buildings that use water infrastructure such as pumps, cooling towers, evaporative media, heat exchangers, air handling units, or air economizers.
• Knowledge of water and wastewater regulations in the States of Ohio or Virginia
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects
• Analytical mindset that can identify gaps in requirements during project development, predict performance, and have the ability to provide recommendations on a short notice and with limited information.
• Knowledge or skills in SQL or data analytics tools such as Tableau
• Knowledge of water and wastewater regulations in Texas or Canada
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.