Professional Officer: Climate Change Resilience
(24-month fixed term contract position, with the potential of renewal)
REF – PO: Climate Change Resilience
ICLEI Africa is looking for a highly-skilled candidate to work with us in creating a conducive environment for improving climate change resilience in African cities, and utilising finance and market-led interventions to do so. An important area of work to be tackled by the successful candidate, will be to build climate resilience while enhancing water security and disaster risk preparedness.
The position is suitable for someone with a strong technical background related to climate change adaptation, integrated water resources management, coastal adaptation and/ or disaster risk reduction.
We are looking for someone to join our team to contribute strongly to the progression of our climate change resilience work on the continent, and to work closely with all ICLEI regional offices in progressing ICLEI’s climate resilience and climate change adaptation portfolio of work globally.
Candidates, via their applications, should provide evidence of the following experience:
• Having worked with stakeholders in Africa to develop policies and practices that promote climate change adaptation, water security and/ or disaster risk reduction. It will be advantageous if this experience is related to work with the public sector and at the subnational level.
• Worked with stakeholders to unlock finance for climate change adaptation actions
• Conducted planning, management and implementation of projects, with proven experience of working in multi-disciplinary project teams
• Trained stakeholders in-person and remotely on topics of climate change adaptation, integrated water resources management and/ or disaster risk reduction
• Stakeholder engagement, development of strategic partnerships, business development, project acquisition, and resource mobilisation
Requirements of this position:
• Relevant postgraduate degree related to the fields of climate change, integrated water resources management and/ or disaster risk reduction
• At least 2 years of relevant work experience
• Proven experience in project management and/ or project delivery, delivering outputs with high quality and significant benefit to stakeholders
• Aptitude for working with numbers, and proficiency in Microsoft Excel
• Exceptional English writing and speaking ability
• Good public speaking and facilitation skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programme, especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Ability to engage professionally and diplomatically with politically and technical officials in African subnational and national government institutions
• Knowledge of and experience with climate change adaptation, integrated water management resources and/ or disaster risk reduction policies and practices
• Experience with developing and conducting in-person and online training, webinars and/ or virtual events
• Ability to produce high quality technical reports, academic papers, popular articles, promotional and social media material
• Ability to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/ she is involved in
• Innovative and agile individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on her/ his feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across Africa and internationally
• Proficiency in French and/ or Portuguese will be a strong added advantage
Please forward all of the following:
• covering/motivating letter
• comprehensive CV
• copy of SA identity document, Visa documents to work in South Africa, or in the case of non-South African applicants, a passport or equivalent identification papers
• available starting date
• current and expected salary
• three contactable references
to [email protected] by 17h00 (GMT+2) on 28 January 2022. Note that all these documents will be treated strictly confidential and only be used internally in ICLEI for this recruitment process.
Please include the correct reference (REF) in your email subject line and covering letter, to clearly indicate which position you are applying for. See below.
No late or incomplete applications will be considered.
A market-related and competitive annual remuneration package (TCOE based) will be offered to successful candidates, taking into consideration qualifications and experience and the current salary scales of ICLEI Africa.
Good team fit within the ICLEI team will be a consideration for all posts.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 90 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful. ICLEI Africa reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.
ICLEI Africa is open to applications for internships and volunteering in fields relevant to sustainability on an ongoing basis. Please email your CV with a covering letter at any time to the same email address as indicated above at any time.
Job Email id: iclei-africa(at)iclei.org