About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Marketing and Communications Writer to be the owner of the Water For People “voice” and Style Guide, and is responsible for writing and editing content for all channels across digital and print. The Marketing and Communications Writer plans, collects, develops, and publishes written material from a variety of sources, including, but not limited to: Global Programs, Business Development, Senior Leadership Team, local committees and volunteers, external partners, and more. With a clear understanding of the overarching and interdepartmental strategy and objectives of Water For People, the Writer proactively seeks out opportunities to clearly articulate the Water For People story from various perspectives and for multiple audiences. This position is based at WFP’s headquarters in Denver, Colorado.
Essential Job Functions & Duties
- Create and update content for WaterForPeople.org, including fundraising appeals, stories, strategic documentation, annual reports, social media posts, and more.
- Maintain an organizational editorial calendar for internal and external messaging and communications.
- Ensure that all written materials conform to the Water For People Style Guide and overall voice of the organization.
- Work across Water For People teams to generate ideas for new content and update or repurpose existing materials and content.
- Develop messaging targeted to various audiences and stakeholders, with a consistent style and voice.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team to execute Water For People’s email strategy across all audiences.
- Collaborate with other team members to develop and distribute content across multiple platforms for partners, committees, events, volunteers, and more.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Team to develop short and long-term messaging and social media campaigns, initiatives, and projects in support of the organization’s overall strategy, goals and objectives.
- Manage Water For People’s social media accounts, profiles and updates with consistency, utilizing best practices and experimenting with new tactics, tools and testing.
- Conceptualize, launch, and maintain fund-raising campaigns using both digital and print media.
- Work closely with graphic designer to maintain Water For People’s brand.
- Coordinate with any relevant Water For People consultants and contractors on content and social media projects and tasks.
- Provide support for other tasks and projects as necessary.
Behaviors and Competencies
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple simultaneous projects and campaigns with competing deadlines, and guide them through to completion.
- Demonstrated success in developing impactful direct-response campaigns that help grow a donor base or audience, retain/upgrade existing supporters/readers, and ideally generating significant annual revenue.
- Ability to work with rough, unedited content and transform materials into engaging, compelling visual and written content.
- Ability to communicate key concepts, ideas, and plans to a variety of audiences (through presentation, written and verbal communications).
- Flexibility and speediness, with ability to create content on short notice, and to adapt and pivot from plans as necessary.
- Extreme professionalism, enterprising attitude, confidence, and willingness to interact with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to assess content effectiveness through analytics, and respond with appropriate adjustments.
- Ability to work with people around the world, with diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude, problem-solver, collaborator.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3-4+ years’ experience creating a variety of written materials for multiple consumer and business audiences.
- 2+ years’ experience writing in a marketing, fundraising and/or sales capacity.
- 1-2 years’ experience managing social media for an organization or business.
- Digital publishing experience (Website, Blog, Email, Social Media) and proficiency with content management systems, email providers such as MailChimp and/or Constant Contact, and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Medium, HootSuite, etc.
- Content strategy and audience segmentation skills.
- Experience taking fresh concepts and ideas to a comprehensive plan and execution, to reach and engage new audiences and convert existing audiences into active supporters.
- Fundraising/direct marketing experience desirable, especially in an international development environment.
- Spanish speaking and writing skills are a plus.
- Must provide recent writing samples.
- Ability to travel up to 15% domestically and internationally to developing countries, where travel is rugged.
This is a full time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience. Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.