Under the overall guidance and the direct supervision of the UNDP Programme Specialist for Energy and Environment (PSEE), the Programme Analyst: Energy and Environment (PAE) will be responsible for the day-to-day operations and administration of the Project Implementing Unit. The main role of the PAEE is to provide oversight and technical assistance to development project implementation, monitoring and evaluation and, reporting while proactively assisting to integrate environmental issues throughout the CO’s and UN Systems programming. The PAEE ensures that environmental goals and targets as prescribed in the UNPAF and the UNDP’s Strategic Plan are met while promoting the compliance with UNDP policies and procedures and, the core values of the UN System.
The PAEE works in close collaboration with Operations team in the CO, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UN Programme Development Team (PDT), UNDP HQ staff, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, civil society and development partners to successfully implement the UNDP programme
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies
- Management of the CO programme
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
- CO business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
- Promotes strategic partnerships and support resource mobilization through developing demand-driven innovative interventions that pursue the goals and targets of the UNPAF while addressing UNDP Strategic Plan objectives and goals;
- Advocates and provides policy and technical support on environmental issues to the CO management, Government, donors, CSOs and the UN Project Development Team (PDT);
Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas (in small offices), finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst can perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
- Consolidates (from project documents and articles) and updates as required a thorough analysis of the political, social, environmental and economic situations in the country and applies this knowledge to programme/ project preparations, reviews and adaptive management and partnership building;
- Ensures that all Energy and Environment interventions and activities are results-based and client driven;
- Ensures that there is collaboration and synergies between individual environmental projects as part of a harmonized and holistic environment programme;
- In collaboration with the communications and the M&E focal point, promote knowledge management in the PIU by ensuring that pertinent and credible information and data on results, lessons and good practices are packaged and disseminated for decision making, to improve coordination, raise visibility and awareness, and promote knowledge sharing and learning;
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy in cooperation with the Management Support and Business Development Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Conduct ongoing and targeted research to remain well informed, knowledgeable and aware of national, regional and global contemporary development issues and their relation to current and upcoming projects, ongoing/ emerging strategic issues (e.g. seawater desalination, energy and water security, climate resilience and adaptation, etc.). This also enhances UNDP strategic position as a knowledgeable and reputable partner;
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Participate in networks, committees and other platforms at national level (and linked to international networks) to strategically position UNDP as a partner and to expound on organisation’s areas of work and available support. This also offers an avenue for contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Ppreparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
Levle 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.