Research Associate (Remote Sensing / GIS Specialist)
Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable future for all. SEI Asia is a dynamic, expanding workplace of approximately 30 people from different nationalities that collaborate in a busy central Bangkok-based office.
SEI is recruiting a highly motivated Research Associate who will undertake research and development activities related to new and ongoing projects across Asia under the Water Resources Management Cluster, with a focus on development of remote sensing and GIS tools, Python programming, data processing and development of graphic user interfaces related to water and land resources management, water-related disaster risk management, water-food-energy security, urban nexus, and climate change adaptation. The Research Associate will support the Cluster team in undertaking outreach activities and writing peer-reviewed research publications.
The Research Associate will work with staff at SEI Asia and with other consortiums on current activities under existing programmes, including SERVIR-Mekong, SUMERNET, the Sustainable Water Partnership and other Asia-based projects. While SEI Asia focuses within the region, it also works globally, and the Research Associate will be expected to contribute to programmes and projects worldwide.
The Research Associate reports directly to the assigned Line Manager (Water Resources Management Cluster Leader) and is under the overall supervision of the Centre Director.
- Lead remote sensing analysis and GIS mapping based on project and Water Cluster requirements
- Develop geospatial tools/ applications for addressing issues related to water and land resource management in the field of river morphological monitoring, drought monitoring, flood mapping, land use and land cover change analysis, climate change analysis, etc.
- Develop web-based interfaces for geospatial tools and other GIS related web-applications deployed to cloud infrastructure
- Script automation and integration of a range of modelling scenarios in WEAP using Python
- Develop QGIS plug-ins based on project requirements
- Develop documents, tutorials, user guides and technical reference information to support training and reporting activities
- Implement projects and/or research activities according to the assigned tasks from project managers and the Cluster Lead
- Participate in meetings, workshops and conferences to support project/research work and raising the cluster profile
- Cooperate with and support colleagues on the Cluster team to ensure on-time and quality delivery, and report progress in accordance with the SEI project manual
- Participate proactively in cross-centre collaboration to develop new project ideas and project proposals for new initiatives and fundraising
- In collaboration with the SEI Communications team and the SEI Asia communications coordinator, undertake outreach activities that include teaching, presentations, dialogues and briefings, articles for specialist publications and scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and interaction with the media as appropriate
- Implement and contribute to development of Institute policies, including the environment policy, and additional programmes, such as the Institute Code of Conduct
- Contribute to office management (e.g. staff meetings, cluster meetings, administrative tasks, etc.) and other duties as assigned by line managers
Who you are
We are looking for a person with a strong interest and proven track record in designing and executing research projects. You have excellent writing skills and are able to communicate with a variety of actors.
- A Master’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of working experience in Geoinformatics, remote sensing and GIS, computer programming related to water resources management, or any related fields
- Experience in GIS programming, remote sensing processing, web GIS development and design for applications related to flood mapping, drought monitoring, etc.
- Programming experience in Python is mandatory for this position
- Working experience in Google Earth Engine, R or any other open data platforms is an added advantage
- Knowledge of GIS analysis, GIS modeling, data integration and conversion, data analysis, geocoding and geomatics is essential
- Experience in GIS database design and management using both ESRI and open source technologies
- Good publication record, having contributed to both the scientific and practitioner literature
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong motivation, proactive approach and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for conducting scientific research
- Experience in Java SQL, C++, ASP.NET MVC
- Experience in custom web based geospatial application design and development and data analytics
- Working knowledge of Unix and Linux
- Strong desire to learn new programming languages for development of web applications
- Experience in the ASEAN region
To succeed in this role, you will need to work both in teams and independently in a highly flexible and exciting research environment. You are able to combine theoretical knowledge with practical, people-based skills.
How to apply
Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 4 January 23:59 ICT. As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, apply online using the button below and include:
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Use the Apply now button below to submit your application. Applications sent via email will not be accepted.