BACKGROUND / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
The UNDP Regional Service Center for Africa (RSC/A) provides policy advice and operational support to UNDP country offices in Africa, regional economic commissions and other regional organizations in support of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. The achievement of the 17 sustainable development goals, in particular those of poverty reduction, economic growth and industrialization, energy, health, food security, agriculture, water and sanitation, cities, peace and security, gender equity and ecosystems protection, are under threat from climate change and disasters. UNDP promotes an integrated approach to assist countries in addressing climate and disaster risks and promote resilient development. The UNDP Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction Team (CDT) is recruiting a consultant to support the implementation of regional and multi-country initiatives and provide direct advisory and programmatic support to countries in west and Central Africa on Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Risk Management, Recovery and resilience building related issues.
The objective is to provide support to countries in West and Central Africa to cope with the effects of climate change and disasters and improve their resilience through advisory and programmatic actions.
Specific objectives of the consultancy are to support countries to:
- Support the development of an integrated programmatic approach to disaster risk reduction (DRR), climate adaptation and recovery that strengthens resilience to natural hazards – mostly drought and floods – and related flood insecurity in the Sahel.
- Support to strengthen community resilience as well as copying strategies to reduce their exposure and vulnerability to natural hazard and climate risks in West and Central Africa.
. . .
SCOPE OF THE WORK
The scope of this assignment is to provide advisory and programmatic support to countries in West and Central Africa. The assignment foresees the engagement with both national governments and regional economic commissions on the continent on issues related to climate change and disaster risk reduction.
Under the direct guidance of the team leader of the Climate Change & Disaster Risk Reduction and Environment cluster, based in the UNDP Regional Service Centre in Addis Ababa, the consultant will specifically perform the following tasks:
- Provide programmatic support to the development of a multi-country funding proposal for strengthening disaster risk reduction and preparedness capacities at national and local level in 5 Sahel countries, including: support the UNDP Country Offices to engage with governments to identify clear deliverables; design the results and resource framework with specific and measurable targets, indicators and baselines; engage with bilateral and multilateral partners to mobilize additional resources; adjust the funding proposal in the donor format;
. . .
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTOR (IC)
- Master’s degree in Disaster Management, Climate Change or Environment science or a closely related field or programme; and
- Demonstrated knowledge of climate change and disaster issues is required.
- At least 8 years of work experience in the design and management of DRR / CC / Environmental projects with an international organizations;
- Previous experience in advisory positions in the area of climate change, DRR or environment will be considered a distinctive advantage;
- Experience in the conduct of study/research in the area of DRR, CC and Environment;
- Demonstrated ability and experience to take initiative and work in an independent manner; and
- Proven experience in the organization of international events.
- Excellent knowledge of English and French – speaking and writing – is a requirement.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills to handle and effectively prioritize multiple tasks, to be carried out in an efficient manner;
- Ability to produce timely, quality outputs;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, commitment to team work and to working across disciplines;
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with a positive attitude;
- Full computer literacy, specially office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc);
- Exercises sound judgment/analysis; and
- Develops creative solutions.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates discretion and observe confidentiality;
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modeling the UN/UNDP‟s values and ethical standards; and
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP.
The Consultant is required to have the above mentioned professional and technical qualifications. Only the applicants who hold these qualifications will be shortlisted and contacted.
- Strictly follow the instructions indicated in the IC Proposal Submission Form uploaded hereto.
- Group of Individuals and/or Firms are not eligible for this consultancy assignment (open only for individual consultant).
The following proposals must be prepared as per the IC Proposal Submission Instructions. The Proposals shall be submitted before application deadline September 20, 2016 via UNDP Ethiopia Secured mail address: [email protected]
- Technical Proposal in pdf under file name: RSC-IC-2016-032 – TP – [insert your name]
- Financial Proposal in pdf under file name: RSC-IC-2016-032 – FP – [insert your name]
Please note that these proposals shall be submitted to the designated secured email into two files but in one email unless both Files are Greater than 9MB file size
- Failing to submit anyone of the documents stated above will automatically disqualify the candidate from further technical evaluation;
- Those prospect consultants who fail to submit both Technical and Financial proposals as per the IC Proposal Submission Form and to the designated secured email will not be further considered for evaluation.
EMAIL SUBJECT LINE WHILE SUBMITTING PROPOSAL (Compulsory):
While submitting your proposals to [email protected] be sure your email subject line is RSC-IC-2016-032 in order to let our Office easily locate your respective proposals from secured email and be considered in subsequent evaluations.