We’re seeking a water expert to lead a new programming initiative with a big, important goal:
To help America understand water’s central value to the nation and the globe.
This leadership role will shape and execute a new, five-year, national initiative designed to measurably raise the public’s awareness of critical water issues and the implications that surround them.
We envision this initiative bringing business, agriculture, policy makers and citizens together to experience and understand the most important science, and most engaging and forward-thinking ideas about water.
When successful, the initiative will organically produce offshoots and activities designed to activate public conversations, policy, and investments in the future of water.
Sound intriguing? Read on!
The Managing Director will shape and grow a new media model based on partnerships that will inform content, events and digital platforms, and serve as new distribution networks for information and experiences.
The ideal candidate will:
- Draw upon their professional expertise in major program or “enterprise” development;
- Have a diverse professional network in the water arena; and
- Bring a vision that includes innovative new programming, dialogue, civic engagement, and digital interaction.
The Initiative’s leader will join and collaborate with the talented professionals who lead one of the largest and most successful public media organizations in the country, American Public Media Group, the parent organization of MPR, APM, and Southern California Public Radio (SCPR).
Application Deadline: September 9, 2016
Full job description below.
- Shape and execute a new, five-year, regional/national initiative to measurably raise the American public’s awareness of critical water issues and the implications that surround them, delivering measurable outcomes that will be tracked over a five-year period and reflect the strategic priorities of the initiative. Articulate the evaluation process that tracks those outcomes.
- Review work completed to date, and in partnership with key external and internal partners, bring closure to the vision and 5-year work plan: goals, objectives, outcomes, budget, timeline and accountabilities. Articulate personnel required and recruit team to complete initiative.
- Identify, build and/or join and manage regional and national strategic partnerships to advance the plan’s vision and accelerate APM’s evolution as a content leader among current, new and diverse audiences.
- Advance the development of consumer-facing water information products and assets that enhance the fulfillment of the initiative’s vision and strengthen APM’s portfolio.
- Recruit and manage a diverse external advisory committee that has recognized water expertise, includes highly perceived leaders, donors, and prospects, and brings prestige and resources to the water initiative.
- Serve as the public face/spokesperson for the initiative. Represent APM and the water initiative at industry meetings and conferences and with the press.
- Work collaboratively across the entire APMG organization, and ensure that the water initiative is integrated and engaging all parts of the organization.
- Set tone and provide direction to all water initiative programming and activities.
- Partner with internal development (fundraising) teams to identify donor prospects, compose grant requests, secure initiative funding, activate members and steward donors.
- Work with business development team to imagine and advance new water-based products, services and assets.
- Work with audience development staff to develop strategies to reach new and diverse audiences.
- Prepare and manage budget, including monthly revenue and expense forecasting.
- Hire, train, and manage direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 6+ years of work experience related to major program or organizational development and evaluation; start-up experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience building effective products or services.
- 3+ years of experience building and managing strategic networks and alliances.
- Evidence of an active professional network within the water environment and industry.
- 4+ years of work experience at a supervisory/management level.
- 2+ years of experience in successful volunteer management.
- Successful and increasing administrative, management and strategic planning work experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of water issues, and the ability to effectively articulate those issues.
- Effective tactical and strategic thinking skills.
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally with diverse audiences and stakeholders.
- Proven track record of meeting strategic and performance objectives.
- Demonstrated experience with outcomes evaluation and methods.
- Leadership qualities of presence, confidence, judgment and integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to create an open, transparent, inclusive work environment.
- Demonstrated budget management experience.
- Familiarity with and experience in fundraising.
- Ability to critically interpret data and create written reports.
- Creative problem solver; ability to work cross functionally to identify and realize deliverables required for growth.
- Ability to be a strong team leader and possess interpersonal skills to effectively communicate at all levels with stakeholders: staff, senior management peers and industry colleagues, donors, volunteers and consultants.
- Demonstrated expert Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and willingness to learn new software applications.
- Ability to travel as needed, up to 10-15% of the time.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree or other advanced degree or equivalent training.
- Familiarity with public media, broadcasting (radio and TV, commercial and public), interactive media, publishing, direct marketing and emerging communication technologies.
- Familiarity with journalism standards.
- Familiarity with multiple communication platforms.
- Demonstrated experience identifying audience segments, tailoring content and evaluating success.
- Entrepreneurial experience including successful start-ups and/or growing new businesses.
Reporting to This Position:
- Number of staff to be determined to address programming requirements, likely 2-4 direct reports.