Regional Consultant (Individual)
6 months from October 2016 to March 2017
Office of MRC Secretariat in Vientiane, Lao PDR with possible travels to the MRC Member Countries
- Liaise between the national teams of the five transboundary projects and the MRC communication and IWRM teams;
- Collect information from the national teams on their upcoming and ongoing activities in a timely manner and develop rolling work plans;
- In collaboration with the national teams, assess local needs for public information on the MRC and IWRM, help produce new information materials, and help organise communication events;
- Relay the MRC key messages and communication products to the national communication focal points and monitor the dissemination of those products at sub-national level;
- Stay alert to new communication opportunities to promote the MRC knowledge, IWRM principles and transboundary projects, and seize the opportunities to disseminate promotional materials;
- Draft texts on basin-wide worthy topics on the transboundary issues and success stories to be disseminated through the MRC communication channels;
- Take pictures and/or shoot video footage to archive the project activities for communication purposes;
- Assist and guide the national teams in communication work planning and implementation;
- Provide on-the-job training and mentoring on the local communication activities to the national communication teams when needs arise;
- Act as a quality control of local language information products; and
- Perform other related tasks assigned by the IWRMP and Communication teams.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree with five years, or a minimum of a master’s degree with three years, of work experience in journalism, communications or related fields;
- Skilled in the production of communication materials, such as print, online and multi-media;
- Experience in media relations, community outreach or public information for a governmental, intergovernmental, and/or international organisation;
- Excellent writing and editing skills both in English and one local language (Khmer, Thai/Lao or Vietnamese);
- Excellent coordination skills, strong initiatives and sound judgment;
- Willingness to work closely with the MRCS and transboundary project teams;
- Good understanding of the Mekong River basin’s socio-economic, environmental contexts;
- Knowledge of natural resources management and environmental awareness desirable.
The Terms of Reference can be downloaded from the download box. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Women are especially encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
The application should include (i) a cover letter outlining clearly how the candidate meets the requirements of the position, (ii) a detailed CV, (iii) MRC Personal History Form, (IV) Sample of work of his/her written communication materials, if any, and (V) at least 3 reference. The position title and division must be indicated in the cover letter.
The application should be sent to:
Mekong River Commission
Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane (OSV)
P.O. Box 6101, 184 Fa Ngoum Road
Vientiane 01000, Lao PDR
Email: [email protected]
Closing date for applications: 21 September 2016