Country Technical Delegate (WASH)
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers in 190 countries. The RCRC Movement’s mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. The international engagement of NorCross is based on and guided by humanitarian needs and the humanitarian imperative aiming at achieving humanitarian objectives. Internationally, NorCross operates exclusively inside the framework of the RCRC Movement, and has established regional and country offices to ensure decentralized decision-making and proximity to partners and projects.
The ability of National Society partners to respond adequately to needs of the affected population is an important strategic priority for NorCross. In Iraq we support Iraq Red Crescent Society to respond to the humanitarian needs, with a focus on health and WASH programmes. We support relief activities owing to the volatile environment in Iraq and support and provide assistance during the return of internally displaced people to their areas of origin ensuring safe and dignified return and recovery phases. NorCross will seek to contribute to the financial development of Iraq Red Crescent Society centrally and build capacities of selected local branches.
For WASH, the emphasis will be on providing conflict and displacement affected population with access to emergency WASH services, and on raising awareness to promote safe practices and the proper use of water and sanitation facilities
Norcross has been present in Iraq since 2013.
Main strategic responsibilities:
- Ensure that Norwegian Red Cross supported projects in WASH are designed and implemented in line with established technical standards and project management methodologies.
- Coach Iraq Red Crescent WASH teams in thematic frameworks and relevant technical standards and support the operationalization of those standards.
- Contributes proactively with other technical personnel to Norwegian Red Cross global efforts to establish and operationalized technical standards in relevant areas.
Missions specific responsibilities:
- support the implementation of EU and ECHO grants in Iraq throughout the project cycle.
- Provide technical support to the Host National Society in the area of water provision especially on reverse osmosis units or similar technologies applicable to Iraq
- Provide technical support and guidance to the Host National Society in WASH and structural facilities rehabilitation that might include schools and health centers.
- Develop the capacity of the Host National Society in hygiene promotion including assessment of needs, planning, implementation, reporting and preparation of contextualized IEC materials.
Main operational responsibilities:
- Conducts technical assessments and scoping missions
- Carries out regular field monitoring, provides recommendations and assistance on project improvements and follows up on their implementation
- Organizes technical mid-term reviews upon request and contributes to terms of reference and inception reports to final evaluations.
- Provides trainings and coaches IRCS project staff on the operationalization of established technical
- Oversees data collection and provides technical support to reports.
- Liaises with the IRCS technical and project teams
- Provide innovative and environmentally friendly solutions to current WASH and energy problems facing Iraq
- Provides surge support to other countries and regions, as relevant and upon the request of the Regional Office.
- Promotes harmonization across regions and countries by monitoring use of common standards and tools.
We seek a person who;
- produces fresh an imaginative ideas and solutions; breaks away from tradition; promotes change and novelty
- demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in WASH and participates in continuous development
- adheres to company rules and procedures; execute plans with commitment and determination; achieves high quality results
- quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
- collaborates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- builds a useful network of contacts and relationship and utilizes it to achieve objectives
Higher University Degree in relevant technical discipline including civil engineering, water and sanitation engineering or environmental health engineering. Equivalent technical experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
- using innovative tools and approaches in WASH to improve quality and beneficiary reach
- Managing projects, including conducting needs assessment, project design and reporting. Reporting skills is of essence and producing good quality reports is highly needed to fulfill the requirements of this post
- building technical capacities of partner organizations.
- Operation of emergency water production units including equipment and infrastructure needed to establish the unit, maintenance, quality monitoring of water produced among others
- Rehabilitation of WASH infrastructure in public facilities based on international technical standards and includes preparation of bills of quantity, supervision of works and reporting among others.
- Waste management including segregation, storage, transport and disposal according to acceptable international standards
- Managing hygiene promotion activities; previous experience in developing curriculums and IEC materials on hygiene promotion is a strong asset
- English work proficiency is required; Arabic is a strong asset.
- International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Country Programme Manager, based in Bagdad, Iraq
Position is based in:
Erbil, Iraq – but with frequent monthly travels across Iraq to support NorCross funded projects
12 months’ contract, with possibility for extension
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: You`ll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross strive to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity. We follow the seven fundamental principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.