- Lead the development of environmental management plans to ensure our firms compliance with environmental laws and regulations.
- Manage evaluation efforts to identify environmental risk, and implement appropriate actions to improve environmental performance.
- Work with environmental managers to identify and define emerging environmental issues.
- Develop strategic and operational initiatives in long-range environmental compliance planning.
- Serve as a liaison with business task forces, regulatory commissions and agencies.
- Define, quantify, and manage environmental remediation risks.
- Define our firms Sustainability strategy and lead cross-functional Sustainable Development efforts to optimize long-term viability.
- Lead the development and implementation of policies, standards and procedures necessary to ensure our firms compliance with federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations.
- Oversee the inspection of all facilities for environmental compliance, requiring knowledge of both operations and environmental law.
- Serve as a liaison between facility employees and management to interpret and advise regarding company environmental policies.
- Conduct research and surveys periodically to ensure the environmental programs are functioning efficiently and meeting the stated company goals.
- Develop and monitor the Environmental department budget. Advise other departments of environmental regulations and programs affecting their budgets.
- Oversee environmental impact of new projects, coordinate requests for permits as necessary and advise on environmental compliance.
- Direct the development, implementation and administration of programs and policies for complying with local, state, provincial and federal laws and regulations regarding the safe handling, storage and disposal of hazardous and contaminated wastes and chemicals.
- Manage remediation programs, including staying appraised of changing environmental laws, identifying areas requiring modification, and setting up required programs to upgrade and change existing conditions.
- Lead the company sustainable development efforts, including establishing metrics and reporting on progress, consistent with the company goals to maximize our social, environmental, and economic benefits.
- Support special environmental projects that are consistent with company goals.
Measure, establish goals, and report on progress toward achieving environmental compliance excellence consistent with company goals.
- Conduct environmental and sustainable development training across all levels. Lead the development of environmental training assessment tools.
- Assess environmental risks associated with real property acquisitions, divestitures, and leases.
- Manage the environmental financial assurance requirements for the company.
Develop and oversee implementation of management system tools to increase environmental excellence and foster continuous improvement across the company.
- Coordinate efforts with industry groups, Non-Governmental Organizations, and Regulators to optimize the company’s environmental performance while meeting all company goals.
- Perform environmental audits at the facilities to support the overall corporate audit process and to assess environmental performance.
- Direct potential environmental coordinator candidate assessments and assist with initial training of new environmental coordinators.
- Respond to and support facility environmental emergency response efforts and regulatory inquiries, including emergency releases and monetary penalty negotiations.
- Respond to stakeholders inquiries regarding environmental matters.
- 10-15 years of experience
- Bachelors of Science degree required (Chemistry, Biology, or related discipline)
- Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with Waste, Water & Air preferred
- People management experience required