Project Manager (Water Resources)
WHO WE ARE
Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
Michael Baker International’s Water Group provides innovative consulting, planning and engineering solutions for the entire spectrum of the water cycle. We have proven experience in providing a full range of professional services from scientific and technical analysis, concept through design, and construction support services. Protection and management of water resources starts at the watershed level and follows the movement of water through urban and agricultural areas, streams, lakes and reservoirs, water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems, and water/wastewater treatment plants.
The ideal candidate for this position will function as a “seller-doer-manager” of stormwater and water resources engineering projects. Responsibilities of this position include leading and supporting business development and growing our current client base. Technical execution of projects and managing large project tasks or projects. Technical experience including hydrology, hydraulics and water quality. This position has the opportunity to work with an established client on ground breaking work in the Chesapeake Bay watershed and with national Water practice leadership across Michael Baker International.
The candidate who fills this position will be called upon to:
• Expand upon Michael Baker’s current client base by marketing local government contacts for stormwater and related engineering services as well as leading or supporting proposal development
• Lead, provide technical support to and/or oversee staff on projects in the areas of stormwater management, general civil engineering, sediment and erosion control, TMDL implementation planning, Low Impact Development best management practices design, compliance with state and federal environmental requirements and sustainability
• Manage civil design and environmental tasks and/or projects involving implementation of various water resources and environmental compliance initiatives
• Produce and/or provide oversight to staff producing reports and memos of study methodology and results and provides recommendations based on findings.
• Developing proposals that present qualifications, approaches for accomplishing projects and funding limitations.
• Actively leading and/or participating in the development of methodologies for stormwater management and stormwater BMP design; and being responsible for voicing recommendations for next steps or identifying issues with data or methods and proposing solutions;
• Planning for and participation in field activities to compile data necessary for modeling and/or reporting on environmental compliance;
• Providing oversight on and/or completing water quantity and quality modeling and design using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), other software packages and/or excel spreadsheets;
• Coordinating with the state and federal regulatory agencies on regulatory requirements;
• Developing and/or reviewing report narrative and tables summarizing results of modeling and other analysis for a variety of different audiences;
• Directing and managing tasks and/or other staff on efficient project execution including adherence to project scopes, budgets and schedules to ensure Baker project management and quality standards are maintained;
• Developing detailed scopes of work and associated cost estimates, staffing requirements, and schedule.
• Communicating with clients on project status including budget tracking and monthly invoicing activities with status reports to ensure client satisfaction as well to obtain follow-on work.
• Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a focus on civil/water resources and/or environmental engineering- Master’s degree is a plus
• Have a demonstrated history of technical leadership, management skills and independent success
• Have existing relationships with local governments in the Washington DC metropolitan area including VA, MD and DC.
• Be energetic, motivated, organized, a team player, and have excellent writing and verbal communication skills
• Have or be able to obtain PE within 12 months of hire
• Have seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience in civil engineering and stormwater management which includes:
-Experience with TR-55, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, SWMM and pollutant loading modeling
-High level of proficiency using ArcGIS
-Successful contribution on technical projects within multidisciplinary teams
-Experience providing oversight of staff and/or subcontractors as part of managing tasks or projects to -ensure adherence to schedule and budget restrictions
-Detailed design and ecosystem restoration experience is a plus
• Be willing to travel out of town (ranging from overnight to week-long trips) to complete field work
• Be able to pass a basic security screening to obtain access to US Military installations