WASH Program Manager
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 6 months (extension possible depending on funding)
Location: Al Mokha
After three years of conflict, Yemen experienced a collapse of its economy and public services' provision. Human losses directly caused by the armed conflict are dramatic, and in particular the amount of civilian casualties. The indirect impact of this conflict is dramatic as well with 22 million of people considered in needs of humanitarian assistance (around 70% of the total national population) and the biggest known cholera outbreak in the modern history (1,020,179 suspected cases registered from April 2017 until January 2018).
SI Yemen mission opened mid-September 2017. Registered in South Yemen, SI mission is based in Aden. The expatriate team is comprised of the Country Director, Logistics Coordinator, Administrative Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Deputy Program Coordinator and two Program Managers. About 25 national staff are currently based in Aden. An operational base is currently opening in Lahj governorate, and two other will open in the coming months in Taizz governorate.
The mission is currently implementing three projects funded by the French Centre de Crise et de Soutien (CDCS), the Humanitarian Fund for Yemen and OFDA. They consist in an integrated emergency assistance for displaced populations and host communities in Lahj, Taizz, Abyan and Hudaydah Governorates, with activities in WaSH (rehabilitation of water supply facilities, construction and rehabilitation of latrines notably) and Food Security & Livelihoods (cash & vouchers, acces to agricultural inputs), as well as an emergency response in WASH and Shelter.
The mission’s current budget is about 6 million USD but a significant increase is expected in the coming weeks and months.
About the job...
The mission is looking for a WASH Program Manager, based in the base of Al Mokha in Taizz governorate.
The Emergency PM will manage the emergency WaSH activities comprised in the CDCS grant, and covering the governorates of Taizz and Hudaydah, to the benefit of the 10 800 displaced and host populations targeted.
An outstanding ability to manage heavy workload and constant operational stress is required for this highly challenging position.
- The WaSH Program Manager pilots the WaSH activities in Al Anad base and kick off the activities in Al Turbah base, ensuring the quality and relevance of SI’s WaSH programs.
- He/she recruits the program team and ensure its capacity-building
- He/she provides support and advice to the logistics for the purchase of materials specific to its program activities
- In collaboration with the administrative department, he/she contributes to the development of program budgets, budget follow up and proposal budgets concerning program activities and related human resources.
- He/she shares with the Humanitarian Access Officer any information on the security context and any event which may have consequences on SI activities and team safety
Education and experience:
- Diploma in hydraulic and/or water sciences / Technician degree / Bioforce profile
- 2 years’ experience as WaSH Program Manager or related position
- Previous experience in unstable environment (conflict / post conflict country)
- Experience in working in tense security context with strict security rules
- Experience in team management
- Experience in remote/semi-remote management
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff
Knowledge and technical skills:
- Knowledge of project cycle management, and project reporting
- Knowledge of delivering WaSH services in emergency context
- Knowledge in hydraulic and sanitation engineering
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required
- Arabic and/or French speaking is an asset
- Good analytical and writing/editing skills
- Good communication and diplomatic skills
- Good organization skill
- Capacity to work under pressure in a tense security environment
- Good pedagogical skills
- Knowledge and experience of the Yemen or Middle-eastern countries appreciated
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Skill transfer ability highly appreciated
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities
- Great work and stress management capacities
Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments
The living conditions in Aden are good even though movements are very restricted (curfew at 8 pm, most of the city being considered as no-go or restricted areas). Trips to the field is possible for expatriates under certain condition but are limited to keep the presence of international staff low profile.
Specific constraints related to security:
The situation in terms of security remains tense in Al Mokha, due to the proximity of the frontline, the political unrest and the presence of armed opposition groups. Trips to the field for expatriates follow specific security protocols aiming at keeping the presence of international staff low profile.
Si will offer you ...
A salaried post: according to experience from 1980 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD.
Vacation: during the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break after every two months spent on the mission. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 2nd, 4th, 8th and 10th months (with 750 USD allocated by SI). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (SI will cover travel costs).
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension